Chapter 3

Logan went down the hall to talk to Sam and Lee I’m guessing. My mind started to wonder about my real father and Jeremy. I wondered if Jeremy knew about him or knew of a way to find out what happened to him. Maybe he’s not even dead; maybe Jim scared him away which caused him to be Jeremy and my so-called ‘father.’ How could our mother never tell us about this?! How could she never tell us about our real father! We do have a right to know about this stuff! He’s our father for god sake!

“Hey, Mel.”

“Hi, Sam.” He came into the room and sat down on the bed next to me.

“How are you holding up? I’m sorry about what happened in the car with the shooting and everything.”

“Don’t worry about it, Sam.” I gave a weak smile and I put my hand on top of his. “Look, I’m ok. Some bumps and bruises, but I don’t have any bullet wounds or anything.” I let out a small laugh and so did he.

“I know, but I feel bad having to do that while you were with us. You shouldn’t have been there, but I had no choice. I had to do what I had to do you know? I had to do everything I could to make sure you and everyone else were protected, but mostly you. You’re the most important thing in Jeremy’s life as well as ours and we’ll stop at nothing to make sure you’re safe.”

“Thank you, Sam.” I wrap my arms around his neck and he wrapped his around my waist as he pulled me into a big hug.

“Anytime, Mel.” He whispered into my ear and then he pulled back and just smiled at me.

“Do you know when Jeremy will be here?”

“To be honest, Mel, I have no idea if he’s even coming. I haven’t heard from him since I told him about the safe house and where we’d be. I wish I could tell you he’s on his way, but I just don’t know. It might just be too early to even tell.”

“Ok, thanks, Sam. Do you think the police will be looking for me now?”

“I bet they probably are now. You’re step-dad has probably filed a missing persons report but I know you have to wait 24 hours to do that. But he’s got close friends in the police field so I’m sure he has filed it already.”

“Looks like I’m going to have to change my appearance and everything so they don’t find us.” I say as I got up and grabbed my wallet from my backpack.

“What do you mean? Where are you going?”

“Well, I can’t be Meline Carter anymore so for now on I’ll become Mackenzie Marie Smith. I’ll change my hair, change my style of clothes, and change my name. I have to if I want to be protected and protect you all as well.”

“But, Mel, you don’t have to do all of that.”

“No, Sam, I do. I’m not going to risk all of our lives in case they recognize me and take me back and charge you all with kidnapping. That’s not going to happen, Sam. I’m not willing to take the risk of that happening. Now come on we’re all going to the salon.”

I grabbed all of the guys and head to the nearest salon called Shelly’s Salon and we went inside. The guys wait inside with me not taking their eyes off of me afraid that something will happen to me inside a salon. They really need to be realistic about that.

 “So sweetie, what do you want to have done with your hair today?” a middle aged woman with short dirty blonde hair asked me as she started flipping my hair around between her fingers.

“I wanted to dye it.”

“Oh, and what color were you thinking about?”

“I’m not sure really. What would you suggest? I wanted something different.”