Chapter 23 - Letting Go

"I can do relationships," Cole scoffs.

"No you can't," Zoey shakes her head.

"I can. You wanna test me?"

"Sure. How?"

"Date me."

She rolls her eyes, "No."

"Why not?"

"I don't trust you."

"Then start trusting me."

"No."

This conversation has been going on all through lunch time. After the night we all spent together last Friday, Cole started sitting at our table again and him and Zoey started talking again.

Zeke and Isaac are eating, not saying anything, and neither am I. We're just letting this go on but I can tell Zeke's close to losing his patience.

"How can I prove to you that you can trust me?"

"You sleep with someone new everyday, Cole. No matter what you want to think, you wouldn't last in a relationship and it would end with you cheating and our friendship will be over."

"I can change-"

"No, you can't," Zoey snaps, "I wouldn't date you even if you got on top of this table and told everyone you love me."

"You know what? That's a good idea," Cole gets out of his seat and climbs onto the table.

Oh God.

"No, Cole-" Zoey starts, regretting planting that idea in his head.

"Everyone shut up!" Cole shouts when he stands up on the table.

The cafeteria falls silent, and all eyes are on him.

Oh God.

Zeke is laughing to himself as he continues to eat, and Isaac is using his hand to hide his face, embarrassed by his friend.

"This girl," Cole points to Zoey, "thinks I wouldn't last in a relationship."

People start nodding in agreement and others laugh.

"Oh, shut up!" Cole waves them off, scowling, "Look, I know that I've fucked most of you chicks,"

Oh God.

"And I know I didn't call you back after it happened. But that doesn't mean I can't change everything." He looks at Zoey, "Zoe, I really fucking like you. There, I said it. You're the first person I've wanted to commit to. You can be demanding, and annoying, and just fucking frustrating, but I really, really like you."

Some girls start awing. I almost do too.

"You're awesome, dude. I mean, you cried at Jaws when the fucking shark died but laughed when the humans got their legs ripped off, and I don't know why but I find that really fucking attractive," he pauses, looking at her. "Will you just give me a chance?" He's suddenly very serious. He looks willing to get down on his knees and beg for her, it's adorable.

But Zoey is strong. She knows that if she gives into him, he'll hurt her. I wish I could be more like that. I'm the kind of person who walks into the fire even though I know I'm gonna get burned.