Chapter 20 - You find strange things in the library

"Hi," I say, sitting down on the couch across from Zeke's usual spot.

He looks up from his phone, his eyes widening a little, "Uh, hi."

"Have you done the chemistry homework yet?" I ask, trying to make conversation.

"No," he clears his throat and stands up, "Im gonna go take a nap."

I groan, standing up too, "Seriously, Zeke? You've said that every time i've babysat you this week."

"I am tired," he shrugs.

He's doing his thing again. The thing where he cuts me out with no explanation. Ignoring me in school, making excuses to avoid me when I babysit him. Him and Cole haven't even sat with us at lunch since the thing with Isaac, since Cole and Zoey aren't talking and Zeke is mad at me for some unknown reason. It's been a week. And I'm getting fricking sick of it.

"Tell me what i've done," I demand.

"What?"

"Tell me why you're pissed at me."

He sighs, "I'm not pissed at you."

"Then what's going on? Why are you avoiding me again?"

He runs his hand through his hair, "Stop overthinking. I'm tired."

"I'm tired of you acting this way."

He starts walking up the stairs, ignoring me.

"Zeke?"

He doesn't answer, and then I hear his bedroom door shutting, and I'm left standing at the bottom of the staircase wondering what the hell I've done wrong.

+++

"Marnie," Mason whispers to me, nudging my leg under the desk.

"What?"

"What'd you get for question two?"

"You're only on two? I don't know if I can date you anymore."

He smiles, trying to hold in his laugh. Everyone in our chemistry class is silent right now, working at textbook questions.

"Seriously though, what's the answer?"

"Figure it out yourself."

He rolls his eyes with a smile, "You're cute."

"You can't sweet talk me into giving you the answers."

"Can't I, babe?"

"Shut up."

He laughs quietly, then leans in and kisses my cheek. "What if I just kiss you until you give me it?"

"Shh, I'm trying to concentrate."

He kisses me more on my cheek, and just as his kisses move to my lips, there is a loud noise behind us. It sounds like a table moving forwards.

Everyone looks behind. Of course, it would be Zeke who disrupts the class. His hands are in fists, one of them holding onto the table, and his eyes are on Mason.