Chapter Four: I'm Just Another Thing For You To Roll Your Eyes At.

EDITED

 Title of chapter from: Better Than Revenge by Taylor Swift

Picture: Eleanor Calder

-Felicity .x 

Chapter Four: I'm Just Another Thing For You to Roll Your Eyes At

"Hi," Niall said, "Y'alright?"

I held the phone between my shoulder and my ear and with my free hands I pour Lucky Charms into a bowl. I'm still in my pyjamas, just out of bed and I look like a right gremlin.

"Tired," I say. "Why is that you're calling, again?"

"We have a press conference about Where We Are and then – oh. What? No, Louis, I'm speaking to her, I –"

There's a new voice on the phone now, a lovely Yorkshire lilt. "Hi, Emily. Erm, Harry's better now and he wants to go on a double date, himself and his girlfriend Arielle with me and Eleanor. Harry's flying Arielle out to LA to see her one last time before the tour starts. Would you like to come?"

I smiled to myself as I shovelled cereal into my mouth. "Thanks but I'd be a bit of a fifth wheel, don't you think?"

He's stuttering now. "Well, I thought maybe you could come with your new boyfriend? Jake?"

"Jack? Oh, er, I..." Our date on Wednesday had gone well, as dates go. He seemed to have an immense interest in my profession and I learnt that he had dropped out of uni and was living on a friend's sofa. But whether he'd like to go on a date with two fifths of One Direction and their other halves is another matter entirely. "I don't know, Louis."

"It'd be nothing big, just some downtime with our girlfriends before tour starts. Pizza and a movie in the hotel. Besides, don't you wanna see Arielle again? You haven't seen her in a year."

That's precisely why I don't want to see my old friend. It was because of me that Arielle and Harry got together, but when I left Louis, I left her too. 

"Please, Emily. Ari would be so upset if she finds out you didn't see her. And you have to properly meet Eleanor!"

I sigh and stir the soggy Lucky Charms around the bowl. "Okay. Sure, I'll text Jack. And you can all come over to mine. I'll cook, yeah, you bring a movie."

"Fantastic!" He exclaims in that enthusiastic way of his. "I'm sure El will help. Oh, I'll hand you back to Ni."

"Yeah, hi," Niall says. "Erm, press conference at ten. Do you want us to collect you?"

"Nah, I'm okay. Don't we have the tour photoshoot today too?" I remind, as if Rayna would let me forget. I'd been having daily meetings with Noelle to decide what to wear for it.

"Hang on. Liam. Liam. Liam! Is the tour photo shoot today or tomorrow? Today? Oh fantastic, I forgot to re-dye my hair. Harry, could you text Lou and ask her to bring extra blonde bleach? Because she answers you, that's why!"

I smile. "Bye, Niall."

I checked the clock. I had a half hour to get out the door, which is surely enough time to wash and blow-dry, yeah?

~*~

No.

I wound up panicking and rushing out the door with wet hair tied into a bun at the top of my head. It feels disgusting and there are water droplets running down my blouse but there's really no time to go back and dry it.