Chapter One ❄ [edited]

IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE AT END OF CHAPTER.

It was December; the days were frigid and cold, the temperatures dropping below zero plenty of times. Snowfall in the small, Minnesotan town was frequent. Many complained, but the only one who seemed to enjoy the cold weather was a blonde, green-eyed nineteen year old by the name of Jaime Butler.

She was walking through the light snowfall and wind with two plastic bags of groceries hanging from her arms. Normally, Jaime would have gotten a ride from her best friend, Macy, to the store, but she was busy with her own life that day. With her parents gone, and no other friends to depend on, Jaime was forced to walk.

Regardless of the wind that bit her exposed skin, Jaime didn't mind walking all that much. She loved hearing the sound of snow crunch beneath her feet or the wind kissing her skin and turning it a shade of pink.

It was a ten minute walk from the grocery store to her house. Jaime hadn't been walking very long, only a couple of minutes. So she had a perfectly good reason to deny the offer given to her in the moments to come.

A navy blue, glossy car rolled up to the sidewalk. The windows were tinted, so Jaime hadn't recognized the face, or the car, until the windows rolled down to reveal a man her age. He had chocolate brown, cropped hair and a thin, angled face. The face was familiar to Jaime.

Well, it should be familiar. She dated the guy for almost three years.

Jaime frowned, but didn't acknowledge the man driving the car.

“Jaime, can I give you a ride?” he called out to the blond girl walking.

However, she grunted and kept on walking. The last time she had spoken to him was graduation day. He had enough courage to congratulate her. Jaime, as polite as she could, said the words back to him before moving on to find her family in the crowd of people waiting for their children who've just graduated.

“Jaime, come on! It's fucking cold out. Don't ignore me!”

Jaime swiveled around to face Brian. He had stopped and parked the car to follow her down the sidewalk on foot.

What a gentleman.

“What the hell are you doing in Minnesota?” she snapped as she buried her hands inside her coat pockets, the bags sliding down to her wrists.

The last time Jaime knew about Brian's whereabouts was three months ago. Jaime was told by someone she used to be close with in high school that Brian moved to Australia for college. Jaime wasn't one to complain about distance, especially if it meant Brian was half a world away, but the farther he was away from her, the better.

Brian, too, shoved his hands inside his coat pockets. He rocked on the back of his heels as he responded. “My mom wanted me home for Christmas since I couldn't come for Thanksgiving.”

Jaime barely nodded in response, feeling a tad bit guilty.

Of course he would be home in Minnesota with his family on Christmas!

Responding to Brian's earlier statement, Jaime said, “I don't mind winter, Brian.”

He was determined, though. Quickly stepping forward he grabbed her wrist and tugged it back, refusing to let Jaime run away from him.

“Come on, it's another ten blocks before you get home. Let me give you a lift,” he begged, still holding onto her hand like he was afraid she'd run away if he let go.

Jaime sighed through her nostrils. Brian wouldn't leave her alone until she agreed to the damn lift. If she walked, she'd get home in ten minutes at the most. If she accepted Brian's offer, she would be home in less then five. The idea of being home so soon made her realize how cold she was. The wind was beginning to feel harsh on her nose and cheeks.