Chapter Fifteen

I apologize for the long wait, but I am finished my exams now!

IMPORTANT: I have changed my stories title from "The Nerd's Bet" to "Steele His Heart". I found that my original title was to cliche, and I just didn't like it anymore. 

___________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fifteen

The air that filled my lungs nearly choked me. The scream wanted to escape, but nothing would come out. I stared in a loud silence as the man approached me on wobbly, meaty legs, his body twisting in ways I never knew possible. I pressed myself up against the wall of an abandoned building. I looked for a way out, but all I could see was black.

Oh god, I thought.

I'm dead.

His arms stretched out towards me, bloody and bruised. The skin on his right arm was battered and black, peeling off like someone had slit his arm with a knife. My heart pounded fast against my chest, ready to explode.

He's not human.

Then what is he?

His features were hidden by dried blood. The only light provided was the glow of the moon. This isn't supposed to happen. Things like this only ever happen in the movies. Why did I leave my house? I never should have left.

He was getting closer, only a few feet away. The adrenaline pumping through my veins awakened my senses. I darted past him, the scream finally escaping. I heard the monsters gurgled growl while rushing by. My breathing was heavy and unsteady.

Get away.

Don't let him catch you.

But my thoughts of freedom came crashing down when I felt a hand clasp around my arm. The grip stung, but I couldn't move anymore. It's as if I no longer had control over my body. My feet stayed glued to where he held me. Fear coursed through my body at an impossible speed. I don't think I have ever been this fearful in my life before.

If I'm going to die, I deserve to know who it is to kill me. When I lifted my head to see his face, he no longer had the meaty peeling skin, or the smell of death attached to him. No, it was much worse.

It was the face of Colin Steele.

~0~0~0~

I awoke gasping. I quickly checked my surroundings, sighing in relief when I realized I was no longer in the alley of my dreams surrounded by Colin the zombie, but now in my bedroom, where I can peacefully forget about the jerk. Maybe its time to stop watching The Walking Dead. My head has a funny way of twisting it.

I got out of bed, ready to relax for the day. There's only one Saturday a week, and so might as well take it to my advantage.

"You seem quite cheerful today," my mother observed, arms crossed and frowning like she was disappointed in me.

Unlike you... What's her problem?

"Yup," I replied, popping the p. I skipped into the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee. "Aren't you? Its Saturday, like the best day ever!"

My moms eyes narrowed, and the smile was whipped right off of my face. She was holding a piece of paper in her hands. She lifted it in front of her face as she slowly walked towards me.

"What is this?" she demanded.

"Umm..." I don't know? A piece of paper. Obviously not something good.