Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

I sat at the dining room table, across from Colin. His eyes never seemed to leave my face, and I tried my hardest not to look at him. This is so awkward!

"So Kasey, how have you been, dear?" Mrs. Steele asked me, taking a piece of bread up to her mouth and gracefully biting into it. I stared back at her, feeling Colin's hard gaze still locked on me.

"Ahh--okay, thanks," I replied, rubbing my hands together. Why did my mother have to, for some apparent reason, fix her relationship with her 'so called friend'? Why did she need to force me to have dinner with their whole family? Couldn't she have had dinner at a restaurant? Just with Mrs. Steele?

My mother and Mrs. Steele spoke loudly between one another. I zoned out, not having a care in the world about what they were talking about. I ate my food quickly, wanting to get out of here as fast as I could.

An idea suddenly popped into my head. I held my head low, staring down at my food, and placed a frown on my face. I closed my eyes, and rubbed my stomach. I waited only a few moments until my father noticed my actions.

"What's wrong?" he questioned, a worried expression. I slowly looked up at him to meet his eyes, I scrunched my face in discomfort, trying to pass the 'sick' look. "You don't look so well."

I nodded my head, slightly. Excusing myself, I quickly got up and headed for the bathroom. Once I was out of sight, I dropped the act, letting out a sigh of relief. It felt good to be away from him. He was really making me feel extremely uncomfortable. I shut the door of the bathroom. Glancing at myself in the mirror, I smiled at myself.

I think it worked.

Feeling good about my acting, I took my phone out to text Ann about my situation. I waited for her reply, but I got bored staring at my screen. She was taking way to long! I slid my phone back into my butt pocket. What do I do now? Sit around in here until the Steele's leave?

Sounds boring, but it's better than having Colin's angry eyes on me all night.

A knock on the door had me startled, and made me jump in surprise.

"You all right, honey?" I heard my moms voice through the door.

"Not really," I croaked out, trying to make my voice sound sick.

"Awh. That's too bad. I was really excited about you spending some time with Lilian's family. Maybe some other time." Her voice trailed off, she must be walking back to the dining room. Phew. Glad she's not making me come back out. But another time? What other time? Does she not understand my hatred for Colin? Doesn't she realize him and I don't talk anymore?

My fists clenched at my sides, holding in the shaking. He knows. He knows everything. Why did I ever think Erika wouldn't tell him? How could I be so stupid?

This was all a big joke. Some game they both wanted to play on me. One of those humiliation moments I didn't want to have again. There's been too many, so many I don't even remember them all. It all started with Colin, and it only got worse once Erika entered the picture.

Ever since the beginning of high school she's hated me. Glaring at me every time she sees me in the halls. Once they got together, the glaring stopped. She started smirking instead. She started doing those typical things you do to the 'nerds'. Like throw my books on the ground, accidentally, of course. Trip me when I'm on my way to class, and other little things, but not small enough where it doesn't bug me. I like to try and ignore these things. But that's my past few years of high school, of course not the whole story. No, there's much more.

I shut my eyes as I felt tears brim my eyes. I roughly rubbed them away. I can't think about that. I shoved the thoughts away, needing to think about something else. Anything. Without thinking, I took my phone out and started to call the one person that was on my mind at the moment.

"Hello?" The person on the other line answered. I sucked in a deep breath hearing his voice.

"H-hi," I stuttered.

"Kasey?" he questioned. "Are you okay?"

Why did I call him? I shouldn't have. This was a mistake.

"Umm... Yeah," I lied, trying to make my voice sound even. I was leaning against my bathtub on the cold floor of the bathroom, tracing the tiles design with my finger. Great. Now I sound like a loser. I have no idea what to say. I should just hang up, say I got disconnected. I was about to do so, when he spoke again.

"You sure?" I smiled, knowing he cared.

"Yeah," I said again.

A knock on the door had me jumping in shock again. Who could it be this time? Can't you just leave a women in peace?

"I've gotta go," I told him, but waited for his reply before I hung up.

"Why did you call me?" I sighed before replying. Why did I call him?

"I don't know, Jace," I said honestly, before ending the call. I stood up from the floor, looking in the mirror to make sure my makeup was in check. No tears escaped my eyes, so I was okay.

"Who is it?" I asked, annoyed.

"Your mom wanted me to check on you," Colin's voice spoke on the other side of the door. She must really hate me or something. I rolled my eyes. Really? Like he actually gives a care in the world.