Chapter 3- Adapt

Chapter 3- Adapt

                While I wondered my way to my room, I noticed a few things in the castle changing; the grey stone walls became livelier and glowed more of a cream color, the dark marble floor turned a shade lighter, and the few pictures were flushed out off all of the dust and almost repainted.  Something has changed, like its sole has awakened.

                My room, showed little change; the drapes were a brighter and richer shade of purple and the walls seamed a step closer to white than their usual mucky grey.  I did not try to think of any other thoughts for a solution to this weird alteration.

                It was because of Zack and Carl’s visit.

                And my mutation of matter from air to a solid.

                After about an hour of dancing around my room getting used to my new tall tan body, I heard a strange sound coming from none other than my stomach.  It was quickly associated with pain pulling on it.  I remember feeling like this when I was alive; I was hungry.  Not only was I hungry, my eyelashes must have doubled in size because they doubled in weight and before I knew it I was struggling to keep them open; I was tired, too.

                As a ghost, I never felt like this.  All I felt was sadness as I watched each one of my friends slowly get married, have kids, and die without thinking more of my existence.

                Coming back to this century, I escorted myself to Carl and Zack’s rooms to tell them of my hunger and to ask if I could join them for dinner.  Before I could even open my mouth Zack opened his door and slammed me right in the face.

                “I am so sorry!” he shouted out, reaching his hands out to my throbbing face and molding them around my head.

                “It’s fine.” I said, ignoring the pain by laughing to convince Zack that I was fine but he didn’t believe it one bit.

                “No seriously, are you okay?” he asked, pulling my chin up so I was looking directly at his green eyes.

                I nodded.

                He released my face but I wished he did not; I could not ignore the rush of joy when his soft warm hands touched my skin.

                “Are you hungry?” he asked, bringing me back to the reason I came here.

                “A little” I said with a giggly smile that read “yes but because I am a lady I will not say that I am starving go along with it”

                He instantly got the message and guided us into Carl’s room.

                “When’s dinner?” he asked, poking his head out of the door while Carl gave the come in finger gesture while just briefly taking his eyes off a large pile of papers on his bed in his lap.

                “Hold on just finishing some research.”  He said, this time removing his glasses.

                I wondered around grey-wall and floor room and looked at every detail; the faded pastel yellow comforter on the queen sized bed, the lack of windows and pictures on the wall, and the dark wood side table and dresser.  I never went in this room often and felt like I should know what my own castle looks like.

                “Ok so what are we hungry for?” Carl asked, putting away the papers on top of the dresser across from the bed.

                “What do we have?” asked Zack, politely, as he accidentally brushed his hand on my own and pulled his arms instantly in a cross.

                After a minute of picking out what to eat (which the proud winner was crowned to be instant mashed potatoes and hot dogs) and a few moments of preparing the food, we ate at the breakfast dinner table in the kitchen with silence at the with the exception of noise of the food grinding on our jaws.  When all of the food disappeared from our paper plates, we began a quiet conversation.

                “So how long have you guys been exploring?” I asked.

                Zack looked over to Carl who then spoke up, “Ever since my father taught me how to go camping.  I was five, I think”

                “So all of your life?” I asked Zack who nodded.  “That’s pretty cool”

                “And you have lived in this castle forever?” asked Zack.

                Laughing silently to myself, I said “yes.”  To my surprise, Carl also had a little smirk at the edge of his mouth, too.

                I let out a long, obvious yawn and told them that I needed to get some sleep and headed back to my room, looking forward to the first night of dreaming in a long, long time.