Chapter Four

It was Friday night. I could see my dad from my place on the stairs, watching him as he ate a bowl of chili while watching another rerun episode of his favorite show. I lingered, waiting to pick the right time to ask. My dad was strict, and this was going to be no easy task.

            Before I could change my mind, my dad turned around without warning.

            “What are you doing?” he asked while getting up and placing the empty bowl in to the kitchen sink.

            I forced a laugh, “Oh you know, just watching this show with you.”

            “From all the way over there?”

            I shrugged, “I…like it over here.”

            He smiled, “What’s up, Maisy?”

            Sighing, I hoisted myself up from the stairs, and joined him back on the couch.

            “So I need to ask you something,” I started, not knowing what his answer was going to be, “Hayes invited me to hang out with him tomorrow night and he wants to go to this party and-“

            My dad immediately cut me off, “No.”

            “What!? You didn’t even hear the rest of what I had to say!”

            “I don’t need to. My answer is no.”

            “Can you just hear me out?” I begged, not knowing why I had suddenly become so interested in going to this party. Maybe it was just about getting my dad to say yes, or maybe it was about going with Hayes. I didn’t know for sure.

            “You’re not going,” he said, “But I’ll listen if that’s what you want. Just know it doesn’t change my answer before you waste your breath.”

            “Ugh,” I groaned, “Why won’t you let me go?”

            “Because I know how those parties are. You’re too good for that kind of stuff, Mais. I’m doing you a favor.”

            I sighed, “Fine.”

            “Don’t be mad,” he smiled, knowing he got his way. He always got his way.

            “I am!” I said, getting up from the couch and walking up the stairs, pounding my feet a little harder than necessary. He couldn’t make decisions for me all the time.

            I told myself I don’t have to listen. He can make decisions, but he can’t control whether or not I follow through with them.

            The next day I decided to sleep in considering the day off from school. Pressing the snooze button on my alarm until 10:30, I finally got up out of bed.

            Walking downstairs, I saw a bowl of half-eaten cereal and my dad’s gun belt missing from its usual hook on the wall, signaling he was working.

            After eating breakfast, I went back upstairs to shower and get ready. I pushed the handle all the way back to the hot water, and waited while it splashed out and heated up. I stepped in, letting the water rinse down my back and wet my hair. I rubbed some shampoo and conditioner in and rinsed it out a few minutes later.

            Turning the water off, I wrapped a towel tightly around me. I wondered if Danica was awake yet. She had a habit of sleeping in until the afternoon.