Chapter 14 - Goodbyes

[not edited]

My mother had always said that goodbye is the hardest thing to say to someone who means the world to you— especially when goodbye isn't exactly what you want. After you've said your goodbyes, you're only left with memories. Memories that would make you feel gleeful and sorrow, excitement and despair. And I don't think I'm ready.

I only have a little bit more than a month to say goodbye to Itachi. It wasn't something I'd imagined that I would have to do. I always thought that after this whole conflict ended, there was still a chance for us to end up together. Knowing that this is now impossible tears me apart.

However, contrary to my sorrow, Itachi remained his normal self, trying desperately to get me out of the hideout. He knew that it's unlike me to want to hide in a hole and torment myself. He knew that it wasn't healthy.  According to Itachi himself, I was "more trouble than someone who's dying". After a few days of convincing, he finally lured me into a mystery trip.

"Hn. Cheer up. You're not the one dying", Itachi prods.

I frown. "I'm trying, Itachi. I don't know why you want me to be happy, anyways."

"Because that's the version of you that I love most", he smiles softly before continuing with a slight smirk, "And enjoy most if I'm being honest."

I crack a small grin.

He's certainly been joking around a bit more lately. Of course, it's all an attempt to make me feel better. Oh, the irony. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Why am I wallowing in despair more than Itachi is? I can only imagine how painful it is to be watching me right now. I chuckle to myself. As always, he's right.

"Hn. What?" he asks, eying me curiously.

My smile widens. "Nothing. Let's just get going."

"Patience", he whispers, pressing a kiss to my forehead, "After all, Pein's given us the whole month."

I pout teasingly. "Yes, but I'm absolutely dying to find out where it is you are taking me."

Giving me another smirk, Itachi finally leads the both of us out of the quiet hideout to begin our journey. The trip took a total of three days, but it was filled with more laughter and smiles than usual. We saw things in the same perspective— might as well make this last month memorable.

It was difficult to maintain such a perspective though. Along the way, we heard more than a few pieces of information here and there. Some of them pertaining to the Hidden Crystal— a rebellion was growing, but at a weak pace. We've even heard that Orochimaru was finally dead, killed off by the youngest Uchiha.

As we approach the border, I begin to recognize our surroundings. He's taking me to the Village of Lights. An uncontrollable grin breaks out on my face.

"Hn. I'm guessing that you know our destination, then?"

"Possibly", I insinuate. When he smirks knowingly, I pull him in for a soft kiss and murmur quietly, "Thank you."

Since we left our Akatsuki attire at the hideout, we pass through the village's security without a problem. Upon entering, I was temporarily blinded by the dazzling lights and decor. It was just as bright and sparkling as it was three years ago. It had the same lively and alluring factors.

"Come", Itachi says, grabbing my hand softly.

After crossing several streets and walking around corners, we finally reach the destination— a local dumpling shop. The realization came in quickly.

"Hn. This is the restaurant where you attacked my lips", he teases, a mischievous glint in his onyx eyes.

"I did not attack you!" I argue. My cheeks were already heating up.