Chapter 11: Zelda vs. the Snowman

"Dad, it’s snowing!” Ben shouts. Lucy and I are in bed, wrapped in warm blankets. With winter in full swing, I stay under the blankets most of the day.

“I wonder how Zelda will react to the snow,” Nate says to Ben. Nate sits on the couch with a mug in his hand.

“She needs to go out. Why don’t you take her and find out?” Hannah says from the kitchen. The word “out” sends me running to the front door.

“Okay, let me find some warm clothes,” Nate says. I run in circles around Nate while he puts on his shoes, a giant red coat, and something black on his head.

“Are you ready, Zelda?” he asks. My tail bounces from one side to the other.

Nate attaches the leash and opens the front door. I dash out the door, onto the porch, and freeze.

White stuff covers the ground and the trees. One step at a time, I walk down the steps from the porch. The white stuff is cold yet soft; my paws sink into it. I am not sure I like the feeling. I turn around, jump up the steps, and scratch at the door.

“Back inside already? Don’t like the snow?” Nate says.

Snow. That must be the name for the white stuff. 

“I don’t think Zelda likes the snow,” Nate says. “She took one step and ran inside.”

“She has to like the snow. All dogs like snow,” Ben says.

“Zelda isn’t a normal dog,” Hannah shouts from the kitchen.

“Nope, she’s better than a normal dog with her wrinkly face, curly tail, and snorts,” Ben yells back. He grabs my owl and throws it. I fetch it and bring it to him.

“See Mom, Zelda is a great dog,” Ben mutters.

Ben and I play until Lucy wakes up and wanders into the living room. I snuggle with her on the couch and snore the day away.

I wake up later in the day and look out the window. The snow covers the yard, and small drops of snow fall from the sky

How long does this stuff last?

Hannah walks into the living room and sees me gazing out the window.

“Do you want to go for a walk in the snow?” Hannah asks with a book in her hand. No, not really,but I walk to the front door. I can’t avoid the snow forever. I have to go out.

“Okay Zelda, I’ll take you, let me find your hoodie to keep you warm.” Hannah walks over to Vacuum’s closet and opens the door. I sprint to the door and bark at Vacuum until Hannah pushes me out of the way and closes the door. In her hand is a pug-sized blue shirt. She grabs me, sliding the shirt over my head and my front paws.