Chapter 1: Beginnings

I spent my first two years in a small, crowded house with a woman, her four children, her boyfriend, and three other pugs. I was the smallest of the pugs, so I struggled to eat my share of food. While the other pugs slept, I crept out of the cage to find scraps. Eating was the only reason I left my cage because the man of the house was terribly mean. He yelled often, so I stayed in the cage, scared of his reaction if I stepped in his way.

Those first two years of my life were a blur, and every night I dreamed of a better life–a life with an endless supply of food, space to run, and friends to love. I never expected my dream to come true, but it did.

The day my life changed started like any other. After a typical morning of sleep, I woke up to the woman entering the house. Instead of ignoring me, she walked to my cage and lifted me into her arms. She carried me outside and placed me in the arms of a stranger–a woman I had never seen. This woman stood next to a man with a big smile.

Confused and scared, I didn’t know how to react, so I went limp in this woman’s arms. She carried me into a car, and the man drove us away from my old home.

I don't know how Hannah and Nate found me that day, but I am glad they did. Hannah, Nate, Lucy, and Ben are my new family. Hannah and Nate are the woman and man who rescued me from my old home. Ben and Lucy are their kids. Ben is loud, energetic, and about half the size of Nate. I play many games with Ben. Lucy is much smaller than Ben, but she is super cute, and I love snuggling with her at night.

“Why is she so wrinkly, Dad?” Lucy asked, the first day I came home.

“Because she’s a pug,” Nate said.

“Do all pugs have wrinkles?” she asked.

“Yes, they do. That’s what makes them special. That and the smashed face,” Nate said.

“I think her wrinkles are cute,” Lucy said. When Lucy said those words, I knew she would be a great friend.

My new family calls me Zelda. I spend my days roaming the house, sleeping, eating, sleeping some more, playing, sneezing and snorting, barking at other dogs, and going for walks. I haven’t seen an empty food bowl yet, and I am free to roam the house. I can't remember the last time I was locked up in my crate! Instead, my family and I play with my angry bird, my owl, tennis balls, and any other toy I can find. When I am super excited, I run full speed laps through the house. My family calls the laps pug sprints.

Walks are a brand new adventure for me. When Hannah or Nate put on their shoes, I know it's time for a walk. I run in circles around Hannah or Nate, trying to avoid the harness, but they always catch me. I don't mind the harness. I run in circles because I am so excited to go for a walk.

When the front door opens, I bolt down the porch steps, pulling Nate or Hannah with me. I step on the grass and sneeze five or six times. Despite the sneezes, I love the fresh air and the never-ending scents. During our walks, I run from one edge of the sidewalk to the other. On a good day, the squirrels run across the grass and up the trees. If I wasn’t leashed, I know I could catch one.

My favorite part of the day is when the darkness comes. I snuggle with Lucy or Ben and fall asleep with my best friends.

I am a lucky pug. When I wished for a better life, I never imagined my dream would come true, but my new life comes with challenges. I am not sure how to be a good pug in my new home. I want to make my family proud, but sometimes my stubborn pug instincts take control. Other days I want more freedom, more treats, or more friends. Is that too much to ask?