Dual Relationship

• Dedicated to Indu Deka

 It was one of the hottest days in the month of July. I returned from the office, threw my bag aside and sank on the couch.

Gosh! It’s getting hotter day by day.” I said “Just pass on that water bottle to me, Pankaj.”

“Hmm…” he handed me the bottle and asked.”How was your day?”

“Fine, but soon the schedule is going to be very hectic in the office. Some new projects will arrive soon.” I replied.

“This letter has arrived for you this afternoon.” Indu handed me an envelope.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I didn’t open it.” She replied.

I tore the envelope and went through the letter enclosed in it. The news it held brought a smile on my face.

“What’s there to smile in it? Got to be some good news, I guess.” said Gaurav.

“Yes it is guys.” I continued. “Remember, few weeks back I went through an interview in CWES (Children Welfare and Educational Society) for teaching poor kids who cannot afford to study in good schools due to lack of money. I got selected in it to teach those underprivileged children in that institute.”

“Wow, that’s such great news, brother. Moreover it’s good to know that you’re about to contribute in a noble cause.” Indu said happily.

“What about your current job?” Gaurav asked.

“This is going to be a two days weekend classes just for few hours and being a social service they will not pay me anything. This means I’ve to also continue with my current job.” I elucidated.

“When do you have to start?” asked Pankaj.

“From this weekend, I’ve been allotted in the evening shifts.”

‘In that case you’ll also be busy in the weekends as well. Will you be able to work all week?” Pankaj asked.

“I don’t know but I’ll try to give in my best in both the jobs.” As I replied my phone rang.

“Who’s it?”Gaurav asked.

“Ranjini.” I replied.

“Then take this to your room. I know you’ll talk at least for an hour.”

“Hello!” I answered the call and left the room.

*******

Since I joined CWES, my schedule became very hectic. The weekends, which we used to spend together, were now occupied by the new job I joined. I could hardly spend time with my roommates. I was missing all the weekends’ fun with them but I was also enjoying my contribution to the society. I was appointed to teach 1st grade kids and this teaching experience was totally new and exceedingly enjoyable for me.

One Saturday evening after I returned from CWES, I saw Gaurav and Indu were planning for some event. Seeing that I asked:

“Hey, what are you guys discussing? Planning something?”

“Yeah, come and sit. We’ll need your suggestions as well.” Indu invited me to join. “Next Sunday is the friendship day, so we were thinking of doing something really unusual this year. Something which we couldn’t do during our college days due to scarcity of funding.”

“So what have you guys decided?”

“Since you are being very busy nowadays. We have been thinking that instead of going somewhere out, we’ll celebrate it here in our apartment. We won’t do much; just invite some of our good friends, few balloons, candles, streamers, cake and lovely food cooked by me. It would just be a simple, sober and sophisticated celebration. How’s the idea?” Gaurav explained me the plan.