Chapter 19

Arina smiled then. It was different from when she smiled at Ace. It was a smile that made a twist in my gut, but not like when I wanted to punch Ace.

I could practically hear my heart pounding, which I had only happened one other time, when I was about to do my oral report in third grade. I wasn’t about to present any report, so I could only wonder why I was acting like this. Arina opened her mouth to say something, but there was a knock at the door.

“Yo,” Griffin greeted us, opening the door wider so we could see him. “What’s taking so long? We’re almost done with Richard and Kayla,” he shot me a grin and waggled his eyebrows. I only rolled my eyes, still recovering from that weird feeling.

“Um… I’m not exactly done yet, sorry,” she gave Griffin an apologetic smile. He shrugged, making the chains on the outfit he wore rattle.

“Take your time,” he said, shooting me another glance before closing the door.

Another lapse of silence fell upon us. The atmosphere wasn’t exactly awkward, but it definitely wasn’t a friendly one. Arina kept her eyes on her lap, not looking up at my face.

I leaned forward and rested my chin in my hands. “If you’re not gonna say anything, I’ve got stuff to do,” I informed her. I kinda felt mean saying that (which was a first) but I partially felt relieved that I was regaining my usual cold self. It was weird acting all nice and friendly.

Arina’s head jerked up. “Oh! Yeah… um,” she trailed off, her eyes darting back and forth between her hands. At last, she simply squeezed her eyes shut.

“Do you not even remember what to ask me?” I asked her, my impatience growing.

“Sorry it’s just… you…” she mumbled mostly to herself. I wasn’t really in the mood to stick with it anymore. I stood up, brushed off the ridiculous clothes, and walked out. Just like that.

After closing the door behind me, I leaned against it. Why was I so damn stubborn? Why did I always act that way?

I stepped away from the room and walked toward where everyone else was hanging around. Arina rushed past me, brushing my shoulder.

She dipped her head down. “Sorry, my editor just called. I’m sorry I have to leave in such a rush, but I have to catch a bus to.” She explained. “Thank you for welcoming me,” she flashed a smile to everyone that brought a twist in my gut, and then prepared to leave.

Ken stood up with ease. “Hey Arina, slow down.” She looked up, confused. “I can always drive you wherever you need to go,” he offered. I know he’s polite but really? That gut feeling hit me again. I just really wanted to punch my stomach. Arina shook her head immediately.

“No, that’s not necessary!” she exclaimed. “I don’t want to bother you.”

“It wouldn’t bother me,” Ken shrugged. “I’ve got time to kill.” He seemed so damn relaxed unlike I could ever be.

“Really… it’s alright.” She protested.

Ken looked like he was about to continue with the “It’s okay, I can drive you” crap so I cut them off. “She said she’s fine so let her go, Ken.” I snapped. Ken gave me a funny look, along with everyone else including Kayla and Richard. I glared back at them. Childish, I know, but I’d rather be a kid than an old man.

Ken glanced at Arina another time. “You sure?” he asked again. Augh, he’s so annoying. A smug look crossed Arina’s face.

“Actually Ken, could you drive me to my place?”

What the Hell????? Panic hit me like a cold rock, but I didn’t do anything. Just watched them go. Ken looked over his shoulder at me once, a question in his eyes. It was as if he was asking for my permission. What was with that guy? In response, I turned away.

When the door clicked shut, it was as if the room came to life again. Kayla finished commenting on Ace’s clothes, and then began bundling everything up, preparing to leave. Nico went off to find something to eat, and Griffin started pestering me with questions.

“Why didn’t you stop them?!” he demanded. I shrugged.

“Not my problem, why should I?” I replied shortly. A look of disgust passed Griffin’s face. I didn’t blame him, I was disgusted with myself too.

Slowly, quietly, as though choosing his words with care Griffin said, “But… You like her don’t you?”

I felt almost as if time stopped and everything around me disappeared. What Griffin just asked… it was like placing the last piece in to a puzzle. Griffin quietly waited for me to reply. He hopped up and sat on the edge of the table in front of me. Griffin’s face took on a serene expression. It’s like he knew everything right then.

“Shit.”

........................................................................................................................................

Dun dun dun dun.....

I did not fail my final (thank god) but my grade was not 100%. so this is how it turned out. hahahaha. I like how this is coming :D Ah... but so short :(