Chapter 1: Moving Day

Chapter 1:

Moving day

            The air was crisp and cool, autumn making its presence known in the cemetery of a small town in Maine. Leaves rustled as they were gently picked from the tress and danced in the air before eventually falling to the brown, dying, grass below. It was the perfect type of weather for a place filled with graves and just radiated death. There were no sounds to be heard for no one visited this particular cemetery. This grave yard was the final resting place of some of the town’s most loathed, insane, and undesirable people. The graves were never visited and rarely taken care of, many of them with vines tightly wrapped around the stone faces while weeds tickled the base. Like usual the place was devoid of living beings…well…all but one.

            “Mom, we’re moving,” Selene told the headstone that she kneeled in front of. “Dad and Joanna are going to work in Paris and are moving Alice and me into this place in Ohio that’s old as dirt.” She paused, as if waiting to hear the stone’s reply. She chuckled. “I know what you’re probably thinking. It’s gonna be interesting that’s for sure.” The smile that she previously wore slowly slipped away as her fingers stretched out and touched the name engraved on the smooth surface solemnly tracing the letters that made up the name Helena Shay.

“I miss you a lot you know,” Selene muttered sadly. “It’s been hell since you’ve been gone. But I know it’s not your fault, it’s his.” Her fair fingers fell away from the stone, frustration causing them to ball up tightly, her short finger nails leaving crescent shaped indents in her fair palms. “And now he’s forcing me to move to another town, in a different state, making it impossible to come see you anymore...Typical dad, the one thing in life that actually makes me a little happy he has to take away.” She grew silent for awhile with her eyes trained on the dead grass beneath her feet. “So I guess this is goodbye.” She looked up from the grass to the face of the stone as if waiting for a reply from the lifeless rock. Selene groaned when it remained silent. “Why can I see millions of other dead people but not you! What’s the point of having this power if I can’t talk to the one person that matters?!” Selene stood from where she was knelt and took in a long breath to steady herself. She looked up at the sky and released a long sorrow filled sigh, her violet eyes reflecting the sorrow that clung to her insides.

 “I wish I was dead too you know,” she said after a long moment. “I hate it here. Everyone here’s so selfish and self-serving. They could give a damn if they see someone dying right in front of them…That and my life is such a train wreck that they could turn it into a soap opera.” She chuckled. “Maybe I should turn it into a script and sell it?” She turned to the stone. “What cha think mom?” again the stone was silent. She sighed and turned back around. “Well I just wanted to tell you what was going on so you wouldn’t worry. Say hi to grandma for me, if she’s dead I mean. Dad never tells me anything about what’s happening with your side of the family.”

The stone remained silent as Selene faced forward and began to walk away from the grave of her mother knowing it would be the last time she would visit her secret refuge. The minute Selene was away from the stone she was surrounded. Ghosts who called the graveyard home came up to her. They attempted to latch their withered, decrepit, arms around her petite form only to be stopped by an unseen force. Their close proximity caused her breaths to come in shallow gulps and her knees to knock together like Newton balls as she made her way to the gates of the cemetery. Ghouls that dwelt in the darkness began emerging from the shadows, their long claws drawn and sharp teeth bared desperate to dig them into the soft, warm, flesh of the living girl. She increased her speed at the sight of them, her breathing becoming more labored from the fear that now had a tight hold on her windpipe.