Prologue

Prologue:

She stared into the mirrors surface as tears streamed down her bruised cheeks. She quickly turned on the water and cupped her hands under the cold cascade, filling her palms with icy wet heaven before flinging it onto her battered face. She turned her attention back to the mirror once more this time not looking at the girl within its reflecting surface but what stood behind her. A group of bloodied and grotesque beings stood waiting behind her with concern etched upon their faces. She quickly turned around and glared at them.

            “Leave me alone!” she screamed her hands picking up anything she could throw at the intruders. “You’ve caused me enough pain! Just go!”

            With hurt contorting their features the beings slowly began to fade into the shadows, leaving the bruised and battered girl gripping onto the sink, her breaths coming in shallow and greedy gulps, while her fingers desperately clung to the rosary beads that dangled from her wrist. Slowly she released her grip on the sink and turned to face the mirror once again. Her violet eyes met violet and she stared at the girl in the mirror with loathing. The girl who stared back at her seemed to mock her with bright amethysts embedded in a face framed by black curtains that were identical to the ones who had beaten her, broken her, and belittled her very existence until her very soul ached from the torment. Her hands gripped the sink, not in fear this time but in anger as she glared at the person staring back at her. Ever so subtly the girl in the mirror smirked at her, her eyes shining bright with mirth as she mocked how weak the other young woman was. With the cry of a broken warrior the girl raised her fist and brought it down upon the mirror’s surface sending shards of the look glass everywhere. She gripped her hand in pain and slumped to the floor in a wretched heap.

 The tears began to flow again from a mixture of sorrow and the new pain that radiated from her bloodied hand. Her eyes glanced up to the shattered bathroom mirror with sorrowful longing. She wished she could slip away from existence as easily as it had.