Chapter 10: A Good Distraction

.:.Karolina's POV.:.

I got ready for classes today and waited at the end of the stairs for Brad.

"Brad, honey you guys will be late." My mom shouted from the kitchen. Brad paced down the steps and made his way to the kitchen, grabbing a piece of toast before we headed out. It was strange seeing him this way.

His hair was disheveled as he pulled his coat on. He was always ready way before me. As he tossed his books into his bag, he got into my car and tossed it in the back.

We parted ways once we got to school. He was a morning person. I gotten to know that from the time we've spent together on the way to school. But today could easily make anyone else think otherwise.

When we were finished with school today, I waited in the car. My class had ended earlier today leaving me to do nothing in the meantime but wait. I noticed Brad walking in the distance and waved. He waved back, approaching the car.

"Hey." I said as he got in. He smiled, but it didn't touch his eyes. As I started the car, we buckled our belts. I turned the radio on, the awkward silence filling the car.

"Hey." Was all he replied before he put in his earphones.

Once we arrived home, I parked the car in the driveway and we got out. Mom made us dinner and since they had eaten before we arrived, it was just me and Brad at the table.

As I poked at my food in front of me, Brad continued to eat from his plate. 

"So, you weren't late today again, were you?" I joked, twirling my fork into the pasta. His eyes met mine and he chuckled.

"No. I was not, in fact." He smiled as his eyes fell to the table.

"Hey honey. Scott's at the door." My mom called out. As she stood in the door frame, my eyes drew back to Brad.

I watched as his expression gradually changed within seconds. His smile disappeared into what now seemed like frustration. His brows creased at the center as he dropped his fork.

"Brad, are you okay?" I asked him. He nodded, noticing my curiosity and got up to place his plate in the sink. A huff left his lips before he turned for the hallway.

I carefully opened the door, not to make it loud. I shut it, and looked up at Scott.

"Hey." He single-wordedly greeted me.

"Hey." I shifted uncomfortably under his watch as he towered over me. His sympathetic smile sent shivers down my spine, the pity blatant in his actions. 

"I'm sorry. I- We never meant to hurt you." He apologized. His eyes were glazed over with pain.

"I know." A sigh let my lips as I turned to the ground.

"I still want us to be friends. You mean that much." He said, pulling me into what was an attempt to be a comforting hug, the it mostly felt awkward.

"I do too. I just need time... To get used to it." I admitted as I pulled away.

"I understand." He mumbled. He nodded and then smiled down at me. I waved as his car pulled out of the driveway before it disappeared down the street. 

The breeze flowed through the door as I shut it. I brushed a piece of hair behind my ear as I walked past the hallway.

Brad's door had shut.

****

The next day as we sat at one of the tables at our school café, Scott and Jo sat next to each other. Everyones classes ended around the same time today and we decided on hanging out.