Brotherly Bonding- 12

"I'm telling you Jess, you'd love it! She's some ho-o-ot shit!" Tyler laughs and jumps up, planting his ass on the counter. Jesse smirks and nods as I roll my eyes for theatrical effect. But on the inside I'm more consumed with wondering what the hell is going on inside HIS head! I've come to the conclusion he must swing both ways, considering how he describes this Samantha girl to Jesse.

I'm getting to be concerned with Ben though. He's in a crappy mood apparently, and as the other two boys grin in memory and imagination, he's sulking more and more. Ben sits on a chair in the corner, arms crossed and eyes downcast. His eyebrows arch high and angrily as Tyler gets more into his excitement.

"Aaron, doesn't she sound like a catch?" Tyler asks me suddenly, diverting my attention from his cousin. A sharp, almost jealous edge makes his voice sound different than what I'm used to being directed at me.

"Oh. Yeah, what a catch."

"She's a total badass man," he turns back to Jesse. "She lit a smoke in the middle of the shop and then lied to Wilhide's face! Dude it was something to s-"

"She's not the biggest fucking thing, Tyler!" Ben suddenly shouts, standing. "She's just a chick that happens to be attractive, she's really just an ungraceful bitch; she's treated like an angel and acts like her uncle's some sort of dictator! We all know we're the only one he metaphorically rides! If she's so damn hot, why don't you go fuck her, and see if Samantha will let you near HER ass. I really fucking doubt it. I really fucking doubt it Tyler."

Ben storms out of the room, leaving his cousin, Jesse, and I with our mouths hanging open. I hear his door slam shut and look toward Tyler. He looks lost. And hurt, like some great injustice had been done to him.

"Are you-?" Tyler's face crumples but he's quick to cover it.

"Fuck fuck fuck..." He shakes his head solemnly and sends his clenched fist through the air. It hits nothing, but neither Jesse or I make a move to stop him. Tyler quickly begins bounding toward the stairs. I put a hand out to stop him.

"Is that really a good idea?" I ask. "I mean, he looks upset..."

"Exactly! I need to talk to him!" He tries to pull away, but doesn't break my gentle grasp. He knows I'll keep him level headed, as much as he'd hate to admit it. "Kid, come on. Don't keep me away."

"I kind of agree with Aaron," Jesse says. Then laconically adds, "He's angry."

"No shit!" Tyler scoffs. "I was paying attention as my... you know what, you guys can't stop me. Aaron let go."

"But I-"

"Now."

"Be careful, Ben's never like this," I say tenderly.

"I'm aware, that's why I need to figure out what's going on." I can see a worried glint in the brunette's eyes. It was funny some days, how his blonde counterpart almost always shadows his emotions perfectly. Whether it be their usual hyperactive, manic behavior or it a necessary seriousness, it just isn't the Paces to have random sadness. And absolutely never anger directed toward the other. Unheard of.

I release his arm and he flies up the stairs and down the hall. Jesse turns to me and clears his throat, to which I cock an eyebrow.

"I hope you realize that couldn't have been avoided, even if it seems it could have easily. And I know that quarreling in the close family dynamic can be worrying and disturbing, but some times it's necessary. Now I'll, uh... Go check if they upset Gecko any."

Confused, I follow. I try to ignore the rising voices from upstairs and ask, "How's he doing, better?"

"Better," Jesse confirms. He shakes a shield of light brown hair into his eyes and strokes a hand down Gecko's spine. The mass of shaggy fur lets out a chorus of satisfied whimpers despite the look of sadness in his eyes. The big sap.