Chapter 36: Drawing Blood

A dead city – my hometown – passed by the window I stared out of the entire way to the headquarters. I relived my childhood as places with fond memories stood vacant. Restaurants, houses, schools, stores, and everything in between could be seen as we snaked down side streets.

Most of the roads were clear, minus a few abandoned cars the closer we got to the border. The section of highway that changed into a main road could be seen in the distance, a traffic jam of cars beginning to build steadily as we neared our destination.

The hummer screeched to a halt in front of a border crossing building, most of it made of glass. I stepped out of the vehicle and looked around the parking lot: entertainment district to my right, border bridge to my left.

Streets were completely empty, almost as if they had been cleared, or blocked off. In the distance I could see the roadblock of cars, fences and cement blocks they used to seal the border off. Barbed wire topped the fences, several dead bodies still stuck over the closest ones on either side. People had tried to cross at some point.

"Follow me," commanded Officer Owens as he headed toward the main doors to the building.

Yates and Sidel stayed with the hummer, lighting up cigarettes. There were no zombies in sight as I inspected more of my surroundings. As familiar as the place should have felt, I was more of a traveler in a far away land. This wasn't the city I grew up in and used to know.

Owens led me upstairs and into a room with counters and tables set up, as well as a refrigerator. It must have served as a break room and kitchen for the employees before the outbreak.

He leaned against the counter nearest the entrance and pushed on what must have been an intercom button on the wall-mounted phone. I observed with folded arms as I eyed the threshold leading to the hallway.

"Jenna, I need you in the lab."

"On my way."

Minutes later a brunette in white hospital attire entered the room with a medical bag. She opened it to reveal needles and other supplies, as well as a scalpel. I made sure not to linger my gaze as she readied a needle for me.

As she moved a chair over for me to sit on for the procedure, I lunged for the scalpel and spun her around.

"Please don't kill me," she begged, as I held the surgical tool against her throat.

Owens laughed. "Kevin... do you really think I care about her? There are a dozen more nurses at my disposal, not including Emma."

Stepping forward, I began to shuffle out of the room with Jenna, whispering in her hear, "It's okay."

Just before reaching the doorway, I shoved her into the officer, knocking him over as they crumpled to the ground. I saw him reach for his sidearm as she tried to get back up.

Driving the scalpel into the back of his hand, he growled in pain, his other hand reaching over to remove it. As Jenna scurried away behind me, I pulled the knife from his pants and held it against his throat before he could deal with the scalpel.

"Don't even think about," I warned, fighting back a grin.

His Adam's apple moved upward as he swallowed. "You'll never get out of here alive," he threatened.

"That was never part of my plan."

With one swift motion, I drove the army knife into the side of his skull. I treated him like a zombie threat after what I saw in his eyes and heard him say. The man was power hungry and couldn't be trusted. Emma warned me about him for a reason. Something horrific must have occurred at the hospital for her to not tell me right away, but I was on the verge of finding out.