Chapter 34: Bittersweet Reunion

"Thank you." Emma smiled as she accepted the hot cup of tea from me with both hands, setting the mug down in front of her.

"You're welcome," I smiled back, sitting down at the table, my mom and her facing one another. "I'm sorry I don't have anything else to offer," eyes moving from left to right. "Most of the food I have is canned, or frozen."

"It's okay, sweetie." My mom placed her hand on mine briefly as sunlight washed over the table. "There are worse things than stale cookies," she assured me, taking an oatmeal cookie from the package before dunking it in her tea.

Letting out a huge sigh, I leaned backward in my chair. It was nice having my mom at home again, even though my dad wasn't there to greet her. Less than a week separated his death and her return, which made the reunion bittersweet.

"So..." I began, then stopped immediately. Asking about what they had been through was on the tip of my tongue, but I wasn't sure if it was too soon.

My mom smiled at me before biting into the cookie she had dunked in her tea. I wasn't sure if she was waiting for me to continue, so I waited for her to pressure me.

"What's on your mind, Kevin?" she queried before dunking the remaining piece of cookie into steaming water.

I looked toward her, then at Emma. "I'm sure we've all been through a lot," I mumbled, clearing my throat. "And you know me," turning my head toward my mom, "I'm always curious."

She finished eating her cookie, then rubbed her fingers together to remove any crumbs. Smiling, she stared at me in silence. As she broke her focus on me, she turned to Emma.

"Emma. Why don't you tell Kevin about yourself?"

The question seemed to catch her off guard, as well as myself. She opened her mouth to speak, then hesitated with a blushing smile.

"Oh, don't be shy," my mom encouraged. "I'm not trying to set you up, or anything." Before she could show any sarcasm on her face, she took a sip of her tea.

Emma and I smiled at one another, her cheeks still red. If my face had turned the same colour, she wasn't exactly pointing it out.

"Well," she began. "I'm a nurse. I"—rolling her eyes—"saved your mom." She let out a subtle laugh as she became even more red.

"No need to be humble, dear." My mom set down her mug on the table. Looking at me, "She saved my life. If it wasn't for her, I probably would have died."

A knowing smile was flashed at my mom as I turned back to Emma.

"I helped your mom recover in the hospital, and we... kind of became best friends," she finished with a laugh. "There weren't many people to talk to mind you." I watched as she looked across at my mom, a frown nearly forming.

"I'm glad you did," I told her sincerely. "You helped her get back home."

All she could do was smile as she lifted her mug to her lips, blowing on the liquid before a quick sip.

"It wasn't easy," she added softly, staring at her tea.

"Nothing ever is, " I agreed, peering up at the ceiling. "Especially now."

"Enough talk," interrupted my mom. "Why don't we go outside?"

Emma and my mom followed me around the garage, past the water truck and directly to my dad's grave. She stood behind us to the left as my mom knelt down, placing her palm on the bare soil. I looked back at her, subtle smiles mirrored before turning my attention back to my mom.

She wiped her face with her hand as she took notice of her grave. "Did you make that?" looking up at me with puffy eyes.

"Yeah," I replied. "Hand painted. I gave it to him on his birthday. It was the only gift I could really think of," I added with a shrug.

Getting to her feet, my mom gave me another hug.

"I'm proud of you," she commended as my arms wrapped around her. "It's a shame your father couldn't be here. I'm sure he was just as proud."

"I'm sure he was. We had one another's backs during this whole ordeal."

Laughing, my mom added, "And it looks like you had a lot of fun doing it."

I let go of her as she began to walk over to the water truck.

Chuckling, "Yeah, yeah we did. That was the last big job we did together before he died. We planted a garden too, but he won't get to see it..." I trailed off as the three of us headed back inside.

After dinner we played Scrabble as I shared a few gory stories and close calls. My favourite was the water truck run when dad thought a zombie had got me, but my mom held up her left arm as she scolded me for finding it humourous.

"You could be looking just like this right now," dropping her arm back down on the table.

"I know," I assured her. "It was just funny that dad was freaking out, that's all."

"I'm only teasing you, sweetie," she clarified. "Being Captain Hook isn't the worst thing in the world."

All three of us burst into laughter.

"Wow, mom. I didn't know you had a sense of humour."

"Being cooped up in a hospital all winter long, you adapt."

Raising my eyebrows, "Oh really?"

"Just ask, Emma," turning her open palm up, before she reached across the table to play a word.

Nodding excessively, "Your mom is pretty funny."

I laughed. "And you're pretty cute." My cheeks definitely turned red after saying that. Holding up my finger, "I didn't mean to say that out loud."

Both my mom and Emma laughed as I looked down in embarrassment, shaking my head.

"See, I knew he'd like you," joked my mom, as Emma smiled and readied a letter in her fingers.

That night Emma slept on the couch in the living room next to the boarded up patio door. I helped my mom put clean sheets on her bed, then wished her good night before walking into my bedroom to read. Lucky sauntered in and laid down on the blanket I had set up just for him at the end of the bed. Even though Emma wasn't part of the family and Lucky was a new addition, I was glad to have everyone under the same roof. Despite losing my dad so recently, I felt blessed to have my mom back, and I was especially thankful for Emma keeping her safe.