I didn't know I needed a diva in my life

Part 4

I didn't know I needed a diva in my life

“And you are a B O Y,” I answer him calmly. “It is so wonderful to meet you all! I can’t believe I get to live in this wonderful house. The lasagna does smell amazing.”

Yes, I am a huge suck up. I smile broadly and the oldest boy growls back at me, in bad mood because I won that argument.

“Welcome to the Denwood Family!” Kaitlyn says enthusiastically and gives me a warm welcome hug. “Jack told me you were coming, you must be very hungry!”

“Indeed I am,” I answer her truthfully. It has been a long day since breakfast and the food fight The Little Ones decided to have to show their protest against me leaving.

“This little monster is Bradley,” Kaitlyn says and points at the oldest boy. He is glaring daggers at me. “He will get used to you eventually. This is Freddy and Calvin,” she continues meaning the two other boys. “I hope you like kids; you will see them a lot in this house.”

“They are so cute! I love children,” I say to annoy Bradley even more.

“I am not cute!” he roars.

“Braddy, where’s your manner,” Gretel pipes in and walks up to a chair. “Ray, honey. This is your place by the table and we serve breakfast at seven, dinner at four and supper at eight. The school you are going to serves a lovely lunch, so you won’t have to go hungry.”

“Thank you,” I say and slide down on my chair.

The big oak table has twelve chairs around it and I wonder if they have guests over often. Alpha Bear never has any dinner parties; he prefers to be a guest and not a host. We are eating in the kitchen, but I guess they have a larger dining room too. All the appliances are brand new but I would never dare to cook here.

“Let’s say our prayers,” Jack says and closes his eyes. “Holy wolf spirits, thank you for this meal and that we all are together to share this meal. Rest your power over us and keep us protected. Guide our new friend through her life here with us and also watch over the young ones in our household. Your wisdom will enrich us.”

“Your wisdom will show,” everyone but me falls into the mantra with closed eyes.

I can’t believe Alpha Bear sent me to a religious wolf spirit pack! Ninjan warriors are not protected by the simple wolf spirit prayers, ours are done through meditation and that is the only way for us to feel powered by it. This simple family can easily pray for the spirit to be with them and I forgot about that part.

Everyone starts filling their plates with food and we start eating during silence to respect the wolf spirits presence. Our meals at home are always filled with chatter from The Little Ones who have millions of questions they like to ask father. I always looked forward to hearing him answer them as he makes up wonderful stories when he gets answers he doesn’t know.

So the whole welcome dinner experience is awkward, but only for me. I feel like an intruder in their family. I could never work as a spy, I am too honest. I want to be a teacher and teachers speak the truth. At least they do that in the Ninjan Pack. I thank Kaitlyn for the wonderful dinner and Gretel is practically jumping with excitement to show me my suite.

I follow her through the house and she brings me to the right end of the house. She stops proudly outside a white bedroom door with rectangular blurry glass windows.

“This is usually our guest suite, but I remade it for you. I hope you will like it!” She claps her hand and motions for me to open the door.

I reach for the silver handle and gently push the door open. I don’t know what I expected but the sight stuns me. The smell of fresh pink roses hits me and I localize them on a round white glass table in front of two pink armchairs. The suite isn’t big at all, but it is lovely. It is decorated in white and dull pink.