29 - Jay's POV

Jay's Point of View:

I felt the prominent dent in my wall through the darkness of my room. It was only one among many other groves and dips in the cold stone surface but this one different. This one meant something to me. All the others were just moments of frustration taken out on the first solid thing that wouldn't hit back. My childhood hadn't exactly been paradise.

I looked at the dent once again and noticed how deep it was compared to the others. The knuckles of my right hand had begun to turn a dark purple because of it. I could feel the same frustration that I felt when I made that dent. I almost wanted to punch the wall again thinking about it but I refrained from that.

I took a step back from the wall and help my right wrist. I flexed my fingers and felt the ever present pain of a large bruise forming around my knuckles. It hurt but this physical pain was nothing compared to the emotional.

I walked over to my bed and took a seat on the edge. My room, which had always been familiar enough to be called comfortable, now just seemed empty. There was no light in the room. There were some lamps but no windows. This had never bothered me before but now I felt like the room was missing something...or someone.

A knock came from my door and I jumped in surprise. Things had been relatively quiet since I had returned home. I had pretty much gotten away with sneaking in and out of my room. I didn't really want to get out much.

I approached the door leisurely as I didn't care who I would find on the other side. I pulled back the door handle and was surprised to find my step-mother, Proserpina, on the other end. She was a youthful woman with light auburn hair and sparkling green eyes. She most certainly didn't appear to be anyone who belonged in the Underworld.

"I heard you were back," she mumbled sadly. Her eyes looked down at the floor obviously full of sadness. She knew what it was like to live here and it wasn't a picnic. At least she got to leave for six months and be with her mother. I was stuck here year round and there was nothing I could do to change that prison sentence.

"I knew it was only a small vacation," I replied stepping back to let her come in. She took only three steps inside before she turned and faced me. I might not have been her child but she treated me better than anyone else around here ever did especially as I was growing up.

"Did you enjoy it?"

"For a while," I answered giving her a knowing look. "Do you know?"

"Pluto filled me in," she replied briefly. "He isn't happy with you. "I've trained that boy for 28 years," he said. "I've taught him to be strong and he goes soft on some Grecian"."

My blood boiled at the thought of my father saying such things. It was so like him to be so insensitive. I shook my head at my step-mother's words.

"He wants to talk to you," Proserpina continued.

I let out a low grunt and rolled my eyes. "No doubt to yell at me?"

Proserpina shrugged her shoulders. "He doesn't tell me anything, not that I would listen to him if he did. You should go see him though as soon as possible. We don't want an angry Pluto on our hands."

"Oh no," I agreed sarcastically. "That would just be the worst of our troubles."

Proserpina sighed and nodded her head. "It's not too late for you, you know? Maybe love can still find you."

"It did find me," I muttered bitterly glancing at the new gash in the stone wall. "And I was stupid enough to let it go."

"No," Proserpina corrected quickly. She approached me and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Cupid was never my favorite person considering the fate that he bestowed upon me but I bare it because I have to. You don't. Cupid takes care of those that he loves and if she wants you then she'll have you." She sent me a warm smile. I didn't see many of those from her when she was staying with us down here. I gave her a similar grin but didn't fully believe her. I had no reason to.