26 - A Day to Remember

Logan and I returned to the table in silence. He said nothing to my little proclamation and I was glad for it. I wasn't sure how I felt about any of this and I definitely wasn't ready for any questions about it.

When I returned to my seat, I avoided all eye contact. I felt like Jay somehow could figure out what I had said. I knew Vee knew exactly what happened as my memory replied the scene.

"Because I love him!"

I got shivers thinking about it. I had said those vital words and I wasn't sure how I felt about them. I glanced over at Jay and sent him a quick smile before returning my attention to my plate.

A light conversation was kept but it was kind of pointless. Everyone pretty much could tell that something happened between my brother and I. There was no denying the fresh thick layer of tension that was laid down on the table.

The meal was finished quickly and before I knew it, I was saying goodbye to Avena and Logan. I hugged Vee first. She whispered in my ear, "Tell him."

She sent me an apologetic look on my brother's behalf along with a pat on my shoulder.

I only gave her a half smile as a response and moved on to stiffly hug my brother. He said nothing to me and I didn't ask for him to. Jay gave Vee a curt handshake which she returned by pulling him into a hug.

"You're family," Vee said when she stepped back from him. Jay and I both smiled thankfully at her attitude. Logan normally would've been all over Jay with jealousy but he had other things on his mind to worry about.

Jay offered his hand to Logan but he only glared at him and grabbed the shoulders of his girlfriend. He pulled her along to the curb. Jay dropped his hand and just laughed off the whole ordeal. I wanted to praise him for his cool demeanor but I stayed quiet.

Vee and Logan went off to take a walk to have some of their alone time. I was somewhat happy to see them go but then became a bit panicked when Jay grabbed my hand. I was suddenly very aware of the warmth he was admitting from just touching me lightly. Jay took no notice in my change of mind though.

"Sorry this didn't go as planned," Jay mumbled swinging our hands as we started in the opposite direction of where our guests had gone.

"It's alright," I assured though I agreed with him wholehearted. I definitely didn't expect any confessions to come out.

Jay sighed obviously unsatisfied. "I just want your family to like me."

"Me too," I said patting his arm with my free hand. "But they don't really matter. It's only my opinion that counts."

Jay stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and faced me. He grabbed my other hand with his free one so we stood across from each other while holding hands.

"And your opinion is..."

I shrugged avoiding his gaze. "Eh, you're alright."

"Alright?" Jay challenged. "Not...adorable?"

"Are you admitting that you're adorable?" I asked with a huge grin on my face.

Jay sighed. "Does it matter? That word is not going to go away."

"True enough," I agreed.

Butterflies erupted into my stomach just as he leaned down to kiss me and when our lips met (and it was only briefly) fireworks exploded. This wasn't necessarily new but I was definitely noticing it more now and the feeling - though exciting- bothered me quite a bit. I liked it but didn't understand it and I was a bit scared of it as well.