Chapter seven - Family dinners and did I just...

Chapter Seven

Billie:

The last few months have been the best, plus I've learnt a few things like not to pick pocket your girlfriend unless you have a death wish. Knocking on the front door of my parents house for a visit; greeted by my mum "Hello love."

"Hey." I smile walking through the hall walking in on my stepdad sitting in an arm chair "Billie."

"Yeah, hey."

My mum leaving the room to go to the kitchen as he starts the -oh so familiar- conversation "So you still a what you call it?"

"Babysitter, yeah."

"You need to start thinking about getting a real job, a more sustainable one."

"Maybe I'm not ready for all that."

"Your nineteen years old doing a sixteen year olds job for crying out loud ."

"I didn't come here to get my head bitten off."

"How do you expect to find a girlfriend?"

"If I did I'd be cheating."

She walks back in with a tray "Oooh can we meet her?"

"Uh, y'know."

"Bring her for tea it'd be lovely."

Thinking about the hole I had just dug myself into, do I make up some lousy excuse or do I risk it? "I gotta run see you later." Heading for the door and calling her;

- Uh yeah I might just accepted to bring you to dinner at my parents house.-

- What?-

- Great I'll pick you up at seven.-

Hanging up and going home to think about how much of an idiotic idea it is.

~*~

Turning up at Ella's house in a suit the thought registering what if her dad answers? Climbing over the garden fence and throwing a stone at her window; it opening up to her mom "Billie?"

"Mrs Stevens could I please borrow Ella?"

"You look lovely, special occasion?"

"Yeah kinda."

"Your not trying to seduce my daughter?"

Smirking to myself "Done that."

"Pardon?"

"No, can you do me a favour before she gets here?"

She nods gesturing me to say what it is "Please don't tell her father." Looking over to the patio where Ella was standing before running out the garden.

Fidgeting at the dining table as my mum says cheerfully "Your ever so pretty." Ella blushing as the interrogating commences "So do you work, Ella."

"I'm a French interpreter for my fathers business."

Looking baffled myself but my stepdad seemed to be impressed "I have to admit Billie she's far better than other girls you've brought back." Staring at the wall as Ella clears her throat "I take that was a compliment?"

The table becoming silent as my mother blurts "I'm sorry, my names Ollie."

"Ella." Their conversation never seeming to end looking at the time 12:30; interrupting them "I think we should call it a night." The surprised look on her face "Oh we best be off." Saying goodbye and walking her home, mrs Stevens opening the door Ella slipping past her as she whispers "If things go wrong you can always call me."

"Thanks." Grinning at her before realising what she meant "Wait, wha-" Rubbing my head it's either she just offered to have an affair or I need to lay off the booze.