The Signing

They pulled up to his parent's house and she remembered it well. She had many dinners here with his family. She often wondered if they knew about the other woman he had dumped her for and if she too visited for dinners with them. She shook her head; she certainly didn't need old images bouncing around in her head. They were here to get the paper work signed. He pulled up in front of their house, he exited and she made no attempt to move. He walked over and opened her door for her.

"Surely you are coming in?"

"I was going to wait here for you?"

"My mum knows you're coming with me, Alex, she would be very disappointed if you didn't come in." Great, she thought seeing his parents again was not on the top of her to do list. Too much emotion, what would they think of her now she was a single mum?

"Fine, I'll come in."

She followed him into the house, he called out to his mum. She came out from the kitchen and stopped dead.

"Alexandria! Oh my" she came rushing over and hugged her so tight she could barley breathe.

"Hi Maria. It's good to see you." She said after recovering from her hug.

"It's been too long, you should not stay away from us like that me missed you." Maria screamed out to Antonio to come here fast. Shortly after Jacob's dad was standing staring at her.

"Come here and cuddle me girl. Where have you been? Look at you, you're all grown up." He hugged her tight. She was surprised; she didn't think that she would be missed that much by them. It made her feel special. They certainly had treated her better than her own father had in the time she had spent with them. She looked over at Jacob who looked embarrassed by his parent's affection to her. Obviously his feelings were different from his parent's.

"Alex you have time for a coffee in the kitchen with me don't you?" His mum asked. Every time she would come and visit, Maria would take her in the kitchen for a coffee and they would gossip. They had such a large family and Maria loved talking about who was doing what or who was doing whom. She was very cheeky for her age. Alex wondered if Maria now gossiped about Alex's situation. They walked off into the kitchen together.

"Alexandria" she sighed as she turned the kettle on. "It's been too long, darling. Why don't you come and see me anymore?" Maria and Antonio were the only people who called her Alexandria and got away with it.

"I didn't think it was appropriate to still visit. Jacob has made it quiet clear he didn't want me around at all and truly it would just have broken my heart to have to see him regularly."

"My, my, little one it must have been hard for you. What is this that I hear you have a baby now? Where is the father? Why is he not involved?" Leave it to Maria to be so direct.

"The father is an arrogant jerk, who will think of no one but himself. He deserves to be taught a lesson."

"And this little girl, you don't think she needs a daddy?"

"Maria I can assure you this father, I know, would only bring pain and suffering. He has already caused a terrible amount of pain for her."

"Is he married?"

"Not anymore."

"Do you love him?" she asked looking at her so sweetly. How would she answer that?

"Once I thought I did but I really don't know now."

"You seem to have been dealing with a lot of pain in these last few years. I heard about Meagan that must have broken your heart. So soon after Chloe was born too. Have you even had time to grieve?"