DInner with two men she hated

What was he up to now? Alex wondered about her father. Hadn't he put her through enough hell already? After Jacob had left, she had taken Chloe for her nap, and once she was settled, she went to the phone to ring her father and find out what was going on.

The phone started ringing before she could pick it up. It was her father requesting her for dinner, her alone, of course, he hadn't even set eyes on Chloe since they'd come back. He told her, he had a proposition for her. She said she would be there.

However now dressed in a beautiful light blue dress with her blonde shoulder-length hair flowing in the wind she was having second thoughts. She stood at the door of his office slash home which was located on the same property as the home her and Chloe lived in. She was too scared to knock. Could she really go through another charade for this man? He had already cost her so much, her best friend, her boyfriend, Kevin. Although truth be known she had never felt for Kevin what she had felt for Jacob. Maybe that was for the better that Kevin walked away.

Just when she decided that chicken out was the best option the front door opened. Arnold stood in front of her, he was the butler and head housekeeper for her father, but he was so much more to Alex. Growing up he was always there for her, her greatest confidant. He seemed to understand her and could always rational out her fathers thinking better than anyone. Once her mother Justine had passed away things between her and her dad had become strained, but Arnold was fantastic as a go-between.

"Ahh, Miss Spencer, so delighted you could make it." He reached his hand out to shake hers. Since coming home, or being dragged back, she had not been to her father's house as she was furious with him.

"What's the 'Miss Spencer' crap, Arnold?" She gave him the biggest bear hug she could, and he returned it. Now, this was home! "We should catch up, when does that horror of a boss give you a day off?"

"My wonderful boss gives me three days off a week, young lady, Tuesday, Saturday and Sundays." She ignored his tone. He always used that tone on her to watch her manners regarding her father.

"Tuesday at eleven, I expect you at the house for lunch."

"Splendid, I will be there miss...... Alex." He smiled and then reached and touched her shoulder "I'm very sorry to hear about Miss Meagan. It must have been challenging for you." Tears came to her eyes; she begged them not to fall. She knew Arnold cared.

Meagan and Alex had gone to university together. They both had completed courses in education with small children, running childcare centres and child development. They both loved children and wanted to make a difference in the world. Meagan's family had died in a horrific car accident when she was in high school. She was an only child. She and Alex became two peas in a pod and Meagan spent all her holidays with Alex at home. When she left Tuscany, she felt as if she was leaving a piece of Meagan behind. Arnold took Alex's coat and led her to the slaughter, as they say. He announced her at the door of the formal dining room, which contained two other people. The two people Alex most despised sat waiting for her to join them. Grant and Jacob. She had an ill feeling about this night from the beginning, and it just magnified. Her father and Jacob rose from their chairs as one of the staff pulled back her chair and unfolded her napkin. He automatically filled her wine glass, she thanked him, and he disappeared without a word.

"Well father, may I inquire as to why I'm currently in the room with my two least favourite people?" She felt there was no need to hide her animosity.

"We shall eat first and talk business later." They chatted on and off about things in general never touching the subject which was off limits. By the time dessert arrived she had two glasses of wine and was feeling a little less like behaving.