chapter ten.

the finale.

-/:[•

john scooted forward in his chair to get closer to alex, lying in the hospital bed, gazing at the ceiling mindlessly. john could feel the warmth of alexander's hand slowly but surely fading away in his own.

he denied this was real. he told himself it was a dream. he said it over and over again, but his mind could differentiate the truth from a lie.

their fingers intertwined. their smiles had left. the happiness had left.

"hey, alex," john said, catching alex'a attention. "you said you wouldn't leave."

"promises are under all circumstances, yes, but under this one, it's broken."

"alex, it- it's not. you're not-"

"john, listen, i am going to die. statistics have shown that i am going to die. doctors have told me that i am going to die. i know i am going to die." alex paused to gather a breath if he had one. "the truth hurts."

"alex, i love you and i never want you to forget that, okay?"

"i know, john. you're my world."

"how did you like our first, last and only date?" alex asked, a small smile twitching onto his face.

"it was great. up until... y'know."

"will you remember it forever?" alex asked. "sorry if i sound clingy. i want reassurance before i die."

"within both good and bad, i will remember it."

"john, when we first met, i knew you were different. you could make me smile and laugh and i can't remember the last time i ever smiled before meeting you." alex's voice was more of a croak with continuous voice cracks.

"alex, if you die here-"

"all i request is you remember me and go to the funeral i won't have," alex said, trying to turn his head to face john.

"i'll try and do more. for you."

"thank you, john."

"alex, you never got to meet lafeyette or hercules in person-"

"and i never will."

the heart-rate on the monitor sped up until it was a flat line. alex's fingers lost grip of john's and he died, smiling. just smiling a little. he died beside john. and just like that, tears had begun to run marathons down john's cheeks.

he knew he'd just be dragged off, so john stood, leaving.

"i suppose the world was wide enough, alexander hamilton," john said upon exit.

It always ends in misery. always. john thought.