The Hardest Question

• Dedicated to Nelly Ora-Yuki

The baby was born on the 25th of March, and everyone was uplifted with the arrival. The gender had been kept a secret until Darragh and Alexis brought it home. It was a baby boy. Nelly was overjoyed when they brought him home that night. She had a baby brother now, and I imagined it was great to have a new sibling – let alone a first sibling. They had decided to name him 'Maruki'. It was unique, and we all liked it.

But what was really heart-warming for me to see was the way that Nelly cared for him. At the first opportunity, she cradled him and smiled. She even watched as her parents laid him down to sleep for the first time. The nights onwards were full of crying during the night, and I'd often wake up to find that Nelly had gone to help. She seemed to cherish the fact that she was able to help protect and care for a new life.

It all got me thinking, and put my mind in a bit of a cold state. Every time she picked up the infant, my heart would seem to drop. The way she cooed over him was adorable, and it genuinely made me happy. But on the inside, there was a rising nervousness.

I was afraid to pick up Maruki, because I didn't trust myself to be careful enough. But Nelly supported my arms, and I concentrated on his little face. His hair was beginning to come through by the day I held him. It looked like he'd have dark brown hair, and by the time his eyes developed, I guessed he'd have brown eyes too. Just like his sister.

But as I held him there, in my arms as his tiny hands patted around, there was a certain calmness after I got used to it. Nelly smiled next to me and praised me for it.

It was then that I decided I would do something...

*

The 15th of April was a very special day for Nelly and I. It marked a whole year of us being together. I would never forget that date – and neither would she. We woke up at pretty much the same time, and stared each other in the face. “I love you.” I said before anything else.

“I love you too.” She replied, snuggling up to me. We didn't know whether to call it our 'anniversary' or not. But we did, because I was feeling in a romantic mood. She gave me the look that she always gave me at these times, and said: “Happy Anniversary.” too. I held her hands and gently kissed her forehead.

“I want to take you to the hill again.” I said.

“R-really?” She reacted. “Are you sure?”

“I know it isn't fancy, but it's our day today...” I swallowed. “So, please...”

“You don't need to ask.” She smiled. “I'll go with you.”

“I really do love you.” I said joyfully, nestling my head between her chin and her shoulder. “Wow... This is comfortable... Is this what it feels like when you do this?”

Nelly giggled and stroked the back of my head. “Yes.”