18

My eyes shot open and I immediately sit upright on my bed, panting heavily. Cold sweat trickles down my skin and I noticed my hand was shaking. Another nightmare about the same man originated by my guilt.

The clock reads 3AM in the morning and I was starting to get used to this newly routine; wake up with night terrors and then try to somehow fall back to sleep.

I rip my comforters off my body, slipping on my slippers to avoid the cold floors and make my way downstairs into the kitchen. Quickly grabbing a glass of water, I begin to rethink my dream.

I'm starting to accept culpability because of how I feel with Klaus. I kissed him and although it felt really good to do so, the voice in the back of my head wants to remind myself of all the bad he's done... yet I push them away. It's getting to the point where my dreams are giving me a wake up call.

I take the last sip of my water and turn around to place it in the sink. When I look back, Elena stands there with an intense look. The knife in her hand causes me to widen my eyes, "Woah! What are you doing?!"

My words didn't seem to faze her and instead she lunges the knife toward me with angry eyes. "Elena!" I scream, dodging her attack. She tries again and this time I catch her wrist, twisting it to force a loose grip and the knife eventually slips from her fingertips. The second it clatters to the floor, I kick it away from her reach.

"What were you doing?!" I shout, feeling my body start to shake. Elena looks down to the ground, trembling. Her eyes move upward and looks past me as if she was looking for someone. "Elena..."

"Maya?" she asks as soon as her eyes meet mine. She looked confused as did I. My heartbeat was quickening and I wasn't sure what to do in this situation. "You just tried to stab me with a knife!" I frantically remind her.

"I thought you were Connor..." she tells me and looks around the room once more. "He's dead, Elena. You killed him." I say and she breaks out into a sob, "I know... I know. I killed him."

"You had no choice. He was going to kill the people that we care about. It was self-defense." I rub her arms and she flinches, stepping back. "That doesn't make it okay!"

"You're right. It doesn't, but what happened, happened. I know you're feeling a lot of guilt right now but you'll get through this, Elena. You always do." I respond softly and she nods with a few teardrops slipping down her face.

"Let's get some sleep." I force a smile on my face and motion her toward the foyer. Elena pulls me into a hug, "I'm so sorry I tried to kill you. I will never forgive myself."

§

"She's having hallucinations." I come to conclusion and look at Damon with my arms crossed. The both of us look at Elena who's currently pacing back and forth in the living room. "I can't believe this happened."

"You thought I was Connor. Luckily no one got hurt." I tell my sister and sit down on the couch. For the past few hours, she's been constantly apologizing for trying to kill me and even though I tell her that it's okay, she doesn't believe me.

"You should've called Stefan." Damon says after a few moments. Elena looks at him, "I don't want to talk to him. He's been lying to me and hiding things from me. He compelled Jeremy to forget God knows what."

The room suddenly goes quiet as the two of them look at me. "Maya, weren't you with Stefan the other day?"

"Not recently, no." I lie to Elena and she lets out a sigh of defeat. "Either way, I can't trust him."

Speaking of Stefan, he suddenly walks through our front door. "Hey," he greets us. "P.S. I called Stefan." Damon confesses.

"What happened? Why did you call me?" Stefan asks, eyeing us all. "I just—I need to go upstairs and shower." she excuses herself and walks up the stairs.