10

I inhale sharply when my fist comes in contact with a stuffed mannequin. The wooden stake from my bracelet shoots out and into the target. I pull away with a huff.

The leaves below me rustle beneath my feet and the wind whistles in between the many trees located in this wood. I pull the stake out of the mannequin's fake heart and place it back in my bracelet. As I was going for another punch, my cellphone blares in the silent morning.

Exhaling a sigh, I pull my phone out from my back pocket and answer without looking at the Caller-ID. "Hello?"

"Where are you?!" Elena's worried voice bursts through my phone. "I'm training in the woods. I'm sorry. I should've left a note or something." I tell her while taking my bracelet off of my wrist and shoving it in my bag. I've been here since 5AM, so it's probably best to leave now since it's been two hours.

"You're there all by yourself?"

"Yeah... Alaric's still resting according to Damon." I remind her. Due to him dying multiple times while wearing the Gilbert Ring, he's starting to develop an alter-ego... at least that's what I found from this journal that belonged to an ancestor of mine who went through something similar.

"I was actually planning on going over to his apartment. Can you meet me there? I'll buy us some breakfast on the way." Elena says and I nod, "Yeah, I'll meet you there."

When the two of us meet up at Alaric's loft, I was already eating my muffin and knocking on the door. A certain crystal blue-eyed male opens the door with his usual grin. "Good morning, sunshines."

Damon holds the door slightly opens as he leans on the doorframe, blocking an entrance. I didn't think much of it, wanting to get information about Alaric. "Hi, how is he?"

"Indecent, but fine." Damon responds back and I let out a huge sigh of relief. "Good. So, nothing happened last night?" I quickly ask him.

"Nope! Slept like a baby, woke up Alaric. No head minds about dead Council Members." Damon smiles sheepishly, but I still had an odd feeling in my gut.

"Then why do I feel like you're hiding something from us?" Elena asks him and I breathe in deeply, thanking silently that I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

"Well, maybe because you're being all paranoid and control freaky. What'd you bring me?" Damon quickly averts the subject and snatches a paper bag from Elena's hands, sniffing it.

"Oooh, chocolate muffins. You know what they say; a way to a psycho killer's heart is through his stomach." Damon grins and Elena retakes the bag back from him which causes him to frown.

"They're not for you." Elena retorts. Damon sighs, "Fine. Keep convincing yourself you're still mad at me. But sadly, Ric's gonna have to miss Elena and Maya time today. You know lockdown and all."

"Just take it and give it to him and tell him that we miss him, okay?" Elena hands the bag of muffins to Damon.

"With pleasure." he grins again. "Damon—" He shuts the door before I could finish my sentence. "That wasn't very nice!" I call after.

"Have a great day, thanks for coming by!" I hear him yell through the door.

"What the hell are they up to?" I ask rhetorically, stunned. "When is Damon not up to something?" Elena questions back.

§

"Alaric Saltzman killed my father?" Caroline asks, shocked as the three of us into the woods.

"I can't expect you to be okay with this. But at least these herbs that Bonnie's giving him, they're healing him and they're keeping the dark side buried." Elena explains to her.