Chapter 12

I don’t know what Jackie was thinking as we exited the parking lot of Collins Corporations, but I was certain she was excited. I could tell by the way she gripped the steering wheel and how she shifted her sexy butt every now and then.

Dean Gamboa, on the other hand, was uncomfortable. He was sitting so still, like one of Georgie’s bulky bags.

I’m telling you, Jackie girl, this is one exciting night!

“So,” Jackie finally broke the awkward silence with her cheery voice. It was a wonder how she was confident to talk to her boss now when weeks before she was scared of the man and then days before she hated him. It might be the fact that they shared a secret--his secret. “Who do you think attacked your car’s tire?”

Oh-oh, here we go. Jackie, I think it’s safer if you don’t talk about the crime you committed! Your mouth might just slip, girl! Just enjoy this moment! I’m sure you already succeeded with your plan. I am pretty certain Brian saw you with your boss. That’s what you were planning, right? So please, don’t talk about what you did to Beatle, my friend who now hates my sexy bumpers!

It took a long moment for Dean Gamboa to answer with a shrug. “I have no idea.”

I heard Jackie snort. Dean Gamboa turned his head to look at her, his expression curious.

Jackie girl, watch your mouth. What the hell is wrong with you?

“What do you mean by that?” her boss asked.

Okay, here we go. Just shut up, Jackie.

“Nothing,” my girl answered, stopping me just as the lights turned red. She took the free time to look at her boss. “You have no idea that a lot of people would love to do that to you, right?”

Hey! Shut it! Now you’re telling him everyone hates his guts? Come on, this is not the time for that!

Dean Gamboa’s face didn’t change. Instead, he shrugged. “I don’t really care.”

“You don’t care that a lot of people in the office hate you? One of us might just be the one who broke your car, you know.”

The lights turned green and Jackie turned her attention back on the road. We were on our way to Dannie’s school. “Did you?” Dean Gamboa asked.

This is what I was talking about, Jackie. This is it. You better be a good liar. Pull out your dramatic hurtful act!

“What?!” she asked, probably thinking she should pull out one of her famous acts. “Of course not! Why would I do that?”

When Jackie was lying, I could tell. Her hands would start to sweat and her feet would start to get jittery. And at that moment, those things were happening. Good thing I was the only one who could sense it.

See what your stupid mouth did? Now, just shut up.

“Where are we going? I thought you’re taking me home?” her boss asked, looking out the windshield.

“We’re picking up my friends. It’s my job to pick them up whenever I have Toto with me.”

Dean’s brows furrowed to a frown. “You didn’t mention we will be having company.”

“Well, it slipped my mind. They won’t mind, don’t worry.”

“I could have just taken the taxi,” he said with a faint sigh.

“Why didn’t you?”

“Because you almost begged me to let you take me home,” he answered.