Chapter 14

The hordes were closing in on them. John knew he couldn't get out of this alive, even with Striker by his side. The corpses got close enough for John to smell their rotten flesh and hear the clacking of their teeth as they open and closed their mouths again and again, staggering, reaching out towards their next meal. They got closer and closer, now only about 50 feet away. Striker whimpered and backed up against John's leg. Suddenly, he heard the screech of a drifting vehicle, and spun around to see 3 military trucks bursting into the open, running about a dozen walkers over. The hordes turned towards the trucks, ignoring John and Striker now, going after new targets. An muscular African American man wearing a grey baseball cap emerged from an opening at the top of one of the trucks wielding what looked like an Ak-47, and started shooting down and dropping the walkers one by one in short, controlled bursts. He looked about 23 years old and was......laughing? "Wooh! Got a bunch of em today Jax!" He shouted with a broad smile on his face. A pretty girl with a ponytail hopped out of the second truck with a pistol, wearing a baseball cap as well. She looked about 18. The girl was shooting at the horde as well. "Dammit Toby! Pay attention!" Toby, still laughing replied with a "Yes ma'am!" and continued to fire his gun. A man with dark hair and gym shorts with a dry fit T-shirt hopped out of the third truck, followed by a boy about John's age, both with guns as well.
"Get your dog and get in the truck!" the man shouted at John, focusing his attention on the massive horde of walkers now heading in their direction. "Hurry!" Before John could do anything, he felt a walker stumble onto his back, knocking him to the ground on his stomach. John immediately turned onto his back and gasped. Hands in front of him, trying to push the walker to the side, John did his best to keep his eyes and mouth away from the blood that was spattering down on his face. The head of the walker was half chopped off at the neck, barely staying on its shoulders. Had it been completely attached, John would've been bit. The walker was then thrown off of him by a new man, also with black hair, and a black T-shirt and shorts on. The man had a metal brace with two claws on top of it, which he thrust into the walker's skull. 'The hell is that?' John thought curiously. The man then turned back towards John and extended his left hand towards him saying, "You okay there buddy? I'm Derrick. Derrick Jackson Wallsworth. I know, I know. It's a Dumbass name. That's why you can call me Jax." The broad smile on Jax's face almost scared John. How could he be smiling in the middle of all this? John quickly took his hand and scrambled to his feet. "Come on!" Jax yelled, starting to run to one of the vehicles. John ran after Jax, Striker right behind him, and he threw himself into a side that the girl was holding open. John moved to the opposite side of the backseat to make room for the girl. Striker hopped onto the middle seat and the girl got in after them, shutting the door behind her. Jax got into the driver's seat. "Let's roll," he said backing up and turning around to head back in the direction they had come.