Chapter 8

The hungry mob was revealed as the elevator doors slowly slid open. Some of the undead military personal and civilians John recognized from when he and his family first entered the military base. He was positive Johnson personally knew most of them, if not all, yet he still showed no emotion as he calmly dropped the corpses once and for all with his knives and guns. Josie gripped her teddy bear and screamed. John kept her in front of him, in his sight. He shoved the slow, undead people away from Josie and him as Johnson, William, and Ann protected themselves. John's fear and determination is what drove him. He didn't know what he was doing. A part of him just took over. He never knew he was capable of doing what he was right now. He wasn't killing any of them yet. He was too afraid to. Halfway through the group of the infected mob, one of them grabbed John from behind and he let out a startled cry. Two of them staggered up to Josie, who stood frozen and too afraid to move now that John wasn't pushing her along. Striker was way ahead, as well as the adults who didn't notice what happened. John swung his arm around and buried his knife in the skull of the one that grabbed him. He pulled the knife out of the rotting skull and pulled out his gun, firing it at the two monsters that had grabbed Josie, but only hitting them in the back. His aim wasn't the best. But he did get their attention, which was all he wanted to do. John was startled at his actions.
"Go Josie! Run! I'll be right behind you!" John said. She did as he asked, running through a small gap that was quickly closed just as she got through and caught up to the adults. John's heart sank when he didn't see Striker, but John saw him push through the crowd and stand in front of him in a protective stance. There was nowhere else to go.
"John!" He suddenly heard and saw his parents trying to push through the crowd with no luck.
"MOM! DAD!" John yelled. But he couldn't get to them. He saw a way out of the chaos.....but it was in the opposite direction of his parents. With the help of Striker, he took advantage of that way out, knowing that there was no other way. He and Striker ran and ran until they came to the edge of a forest, going off the property of the military base, the faint screams of John's family in the background. He finally heard a scream of pain that was quickly cut short. Then another scream. And another. John stopped.
"MOM! DAD! JOSIE!" he yelled. "JOHNSON?" No reply. "No. Oh no. Nononono. No this can't be happening. No. Please." John fell to his knees and prayed. "Please don't let this happen. MOM!!!" he yelled. The undead crowd started to surround John again. Tears falling from his eyes, John stood up, hate flooding through his body. First Blase, then his family. He screamed in agony. He turned around and started running into the forest when he saw another group of the undead block his path. Everywhere he turned, John saw the creatures, staggering towards him. There was really no way out this time. "No," John said faintly as he started to cry. Striker realized their fate too. He cowered and whined, curling up next to John. The undead staggered toward them. Closer. Closer. Their terrifying moans grew louder and louder. There was no use fighting. He couldn't even if he wanted to. Hours on end without sleep was catching up to him. There was too many of them. John couldn't do anything but wait. He was all alone now.