It Snowed Last Night: A Note from the Author

I’ll be entirely honest here; When I was little I had never been particularly frightened of snowmen.

 I’m not sure why. Because my whole life I’ve been afraid of the monster under my bed, the one hiding in my closet and all the ghosts and ghouls that I know lurk within the shadows where ever I roam around after dark

But snowman never really gave me the creeps.

But I’ve written about them – and seem to have been fascinated with the basic idea of a snowman actually coming to life, like in the classic Christmas Carol that children joyfully sing each year; but in my imagination it’s not always quite as joyful and magical an experience as in the song.

Perhaps my fascinating with snowmen comes from growing up in Northern Ontario (I grew up in Levack, a small town about an hour’s drive north of Sudbury – and we had REAL winters there, not the pseudo winters that I now experience in Hamilton. Winters up north were long; the snow was plentiful. I truly enjoyed cavorting in the snow for afternoons and evenings after school that seemed to last forever.

When I was young, snowmen were just a part of the natural winter wonderland snowscape I cherished.

Now, though, I tend to throw a cautious glance over my shoulder whenever I pass once, particular when walking down a dark, deserted street . . .

                - Mark Leslie, December 2011