Fable, Chapter 4: Grimm

The mountains whipped past Red as she held the throttle open. She’d been climbing for the past four hours. Several roads had become impassable, adding several hours onto her trip. As she crested the top of the mountain, she stopped and sat up. Her back ached and she interlaced her hands above her head, pushing up to stretch out. With a soft pop in her lower back, she lowered her hands and looked out over the valley.

Below, the city of Grimm sprouted out of the ground. The city buzzed with activity with tiny cars moving back and forth through the spider web of streets. Tall skyscrapers created an iconic skyline poking into the pale blue sky. The main business district gave out to everything from affluent neighborhoods to ghettos. The divisions could easily be seen from above, sprawling mansions sitting on several acres of land several miles from crumbling, hundred plus apartment complexes. Just outside suburbia sprawled across the valley floor, yellow school buses making their way through the mazes to pick up the privileged brats and deliver them to their daily institutions where they would blow off their education but pick up a hatred of women. Somewhere, hiding in that sprawling mass of concrete, glass and asphalt, Wolf and the Pack were waiting.

She twisted the throttle, smiling at the deep growl her engine gave before she released the brake and tore off down the mountain. The closer she got to the valley floor, the thinner the snow and the more civilization began to intrude. Cabin driveways whipped past at breakneck speeds, the occasional vehicle sped past in the opposite direction. All of a sudden, the tress abruptly cut off and became rolling empty fields blanketed in snow. Traffic increased. Reluctantly letting off the gas, she slowed down. It took another hour to navigate through the mess of neighborhoods, getting caught behind a bus twice.

As she rolled into the city, she began to search for a hotel and somewhere she could fill out the papers with Jack’s signature and such. She could feel the glares of several men drilling into her back and sides. She ignored them. She passed by an alleyway, two men inside in the middle of a fist fight. Even with a passing glance, she stomped on the brake and several horns met her. Tapping the gas once more, she parked the bike and jumped off. Sprinting to the alleyway, she skid around the corner. A second look confirmed her suspicion; she wouldn’t forget his profile in her life. Her knife somersaulted through the air, missing the man Wolf fought by inches and slamming into Wolf’s shoulder.

He staggered to the side and instantly reverted his full attention to her. His attacker lunged at him, only to get single handedly thrown against the concrete base of the building. The man slid to the ground as the air left his chest with an audible oomph.

“Red, how nice to see you again,” Wolf said. His thick voice echoing down the empty alleyway bringing a pit of disgust to her stomach. He looked down to his shoulder and clicked his tongue. “Now, this is no way to greet a friend.” He grabbed the knife and ripped it from his shoulder. It came free with a wet pop and a gush of blood. He tossed the knife to the side where it clattered against the ground.

“Friend is the last word I’d use,” Red said.

“Don’t be like that,” he cooed. “Remember all the good times we had together.”

She held her jaw tight and clenched her fists.

The man slumped against the building moaned and Wolf kicked him in the jaw. Red hissed.

“Oh, I’m sorry, did you actually care about him?” he asked.

“You would have too at one time,” Red seethed.

Wolf laughed, his pointed canines flashing in the sun. Red took a step towards him, her hand reaching for her pistol. Wolf’s laughing just became louder. “What? Do you think you can kill me? Here in the middle of a populated area?”