Chapter VII - Fate's Cold Embrace

“Come with me son, I want you to see this.” It was an older man’s voice—deep and reassuring. He wore a full face of hair which masked his rough facial features: a chiseled chin rested below a friendly smile and deep eye sockets—eyes that had seen the face of battle many times. He held back a thick tree branch and sheltered his young boy in his free arm, bringing him around the brush.

A lone deer was drinking from a creek. The delicate animal, head down, slowly lapped the water with its tongue, flicking its ears up as the man moved the branch. The animal’s head darted up in their direction. The boy stood still as stone under the deer’s sweet and curious gaze for fear of frightening it. The boy’s father gestured them forward, closer to the timid animal.

Taking a step in the opposite direction, the deer readied to prance away from the intruders. The man knelt down on one knee, becoming eye level with his boy. The deer stopped, looking at the two once more, this time more interested. It licked its tiny nose with its tongue, cocking its head in the other direction.

The boy stared out in amazement—he had never seen such a wonder before. He watched the animal as it twitched its ears and twirled its tail. The boy wondered how anything so gentle could exist. He was used to the harshness of mankind. His tribe was always moving across the lands around the big tower in the sky. He knew that killing animals was essential to living; he enjoyed his helping of cooked bear every so often. He wished he could go and touch the animal.

The deer took a step toward the two. The boy’s father crept several steps forward, never changing his stature. The deer became more intrigued. It stepped closer now.

The boy took a step back. He thought he would scare it away if he proceeded forward. “Come now, son.” His father whispered to him, offering a hand. He always felt safe when his father was close. He had no reason to fear this moment. He grasped his father’s hand and took several steps closer to the animal.

Closer and closer they got. The boy felt like an eternity was passing by with each step he took. His eyes were staring at those of the deer’s; wondrous, shining black beads. Finally the deer was close enough for the boy to hear it breathing. He watched as its chest went in and out, sucking in air just as he did.

The man reached an open palm out toward the animal, never faulting or shaking. The boy was always amazed at what his father could do. The deer placed its chin in his father’s hand. The boy gasped, startling the deer enough for it to retract its head. The boy covered his mouth with both his hands, his green eyes wide.

The air filled with a feint whistling sound. The boy turned his head to see a spear soaring past him toward the deer. The boy let out a yelp. It was such a beautiful animal, why would anyone want to harm it? He yearned for the spear to stop right where it was and fall to the ground.

By the time he turned back to his father, hoping he would have done something, the deer was bouncing through the trees in the distance, the spear impaling a nearby tree. His father took his son's hand and they made their way back.

“Come on, son.” He knew the spear was of no threat; it had been one of their own. He chuckled to himself, thinking about how his son had actually saved the deer. He looked down at his boy and stared in wonder for a moment. “Remember Cade. There is always a way to cheat death.”

Cade jerked his head forward, startling himself awake, choking on the air he had just inhaled. Leaning forward, he regained his steady breathing, thinking back to the dream. Cade had always loved his father; loved him and looked up to him.

“Is everything okay, Cade?” questioned a voice. Still in a trance, he believed it to be his dad. Looking around, he realized he was still in Lork Cave. His shoulders sank and he pulled his knees inward, placing his face into them. He nodded. A queasy feeling began to emerge in the pit of his stomach. Cade wished he could see his father once more.