Lab 5 ch. 8

Chapter 8: Lab 5

Here I stood in the front of the "abandoned" laboratory thinking about all the dangerous situations I was getting myself into.
It was back at the apartment when Ed and Al decided to sneak out to follow a hunch they had. The prison where it was suspected that the inmates were used as guinea pigs was conveniently situated next to the lab.
Of course when those brothers decided to leave, I wanted to join them as well for my own reasons.
One: because I didn't want to be classified as a weak, helpless girl who can't handle danger.
Two: Because I remembered that the Elrics met Envy at the lab, and I want to meet him.
And three: Because I wanted to be there so I can prevent Ed from getting his arm destroyed so he doesn't have a reason to call Winry.
Now Edward and Alphonse were worried about my safety, they didn't want me to get in trouble with them. I appreciated the concern, but there was no way I was staying at that boring room alone.
I threatened to call Armstrong and tell him about their whole fiasco if they left me behind.
They quickly agreed to let me stay after that.
Now I'm looking up at the building that's sending continuous chills up my spine. To be completely honest, I was quiet nervous and scared, but there was no backing out now.
We circled the building until a small opening to a vent was seen overhead. This is where I got really nervous. My palms were getting sweaty and my continuous stare began to bore into the lab walls. My throat was getting really dry and itchy and my attempts to swallow were to no avail. Edward noticed this and immediately began to show concern.
"Hey Avril, are you okay? You know if your not feeling up to it you can stay out here with Alphonse".
I chuckled nervously. "W-What do you mean? I'm feeling fine. This place just gives me the creeps that's all".
"You should have stayed in the room like we wanted".
"Want me to call Armstrong?"
Ed threw up his hands in defense. "Kidding kidding!"

Alphonse gave Ed a boost to the ventilation opening. It was then my turn, but before I entered I whispered to Alphonse.
"Hey, listen. No matter what happens just know that Edward really cares for you okay? You're his brother so you should know that. You're here, you have feelings, you exist and that shows that you are real. Don't doubt your brother. And don't trust everything a stranger says okay?"
Alphonse looked as speechless and puzzled as an armor could possibly look.
"What do you mean?"
"Avril! Are you coming or not?!" Ed's voice rung out.
"Coming now Ed!" In a softer tone I whispered again. "Just trust me okay? Bye Al!"
I slide my way inside the tight area and met up with Edward. I thought about what I told Al. It couldn't be helped, I had to say something but at the same time I couldn't say too much or else Al would get suspicious. I just don't want his mind to get swayed by Barry the Chopper.
We jumped down at the end of the vent and immediately I got goosebumps. The area around me was very eerie and sent chills up my spine. If Ed wasn't there next to me, I would've have a mental breakdown just by being in that place. The walls were crumbling, the paint was chipping off of them, and not to mention a heavy musty smell that accumulated in the room. There was barely enough light to see ahead, but it was illuminating from somewhere.
Edward and I continued to walk until we reached a huge door.
I was scared. I was really scared. Before I even knew what I was doing, I latched my arms around Ed's right arm. I felt the cold weird shape of metal trapped inside of his coat. He jumped in surprise of my actions and his face flushed a bright pink hue.
"W-What are you doing?!"
I looked at him and hugged his arm even tighter.
"Nothing.. I just need comfort right now".
He turned his head in such a way that I couldn't see his expression, but I knew that he was blushing.
"If you were going to get scared, you should've stayed with Al", he sighed. Before I could retaliate, he patted my head with his other arm.
"Don't worry then. Just stay close to me, I'll protect you".
And just like that, he was able to make my heart beat. I swear my stomach had an infestation of butterflies at that exact moment. All my feelings of fear vanished and I suddenly felt all warm inside. I smiled to myself and stepped into synch with him as he opened the door. Surprisingly a faint light glowed from inside.
We both stepped into the light.