Broken Promise ch. 3

Chapter 3: Broken Promise

It's dark.

My eyelids were heavy and my body felt numb. I could recognize a scent though. Even though I'm in a different world, I could recognize this scent anywhere. I'm in a hospital.

Relief washed over me. Looks like Ed and Al managed to carry me here, or at least find someone to carry me for them.

Slowly I fluttered my eyes open and glanced around the room. A window was to my right, a flower was on a table next to my bed, my backpack and clothes were on a chair and directly to my left was Ed and Al with Mustang waiting by the door.

"Ed?"

He looked at me and I could see the worry wipe off of his face. "Oh, you're awake".

"That's good", Al spoke.

My head was feeling a little dizzy by this point. The loss of blood and Edward Elric gazing at you can really do that to people. "What happened?"

"You fainted on the train and Al, colonel and I had to carry you here. They had to bring an alchemic doctor to heal you because it seems like you were missing a kidney".

"Oh.."

"The doc said that he could only close the inner wound and stop the bleeding until your body naturally heals itself. Normally it would take a few weeks but thanks to alchemy it'll be healed in a few days".

"You're really lucky to be alive after all that blood you lost", Mustang spoke.

"Oh that's really good then", I smiled. It's nice to know that I'm not going to die from internal bleeding.

"So you and Al and the colonel were here this whole time?"

"Well, no actually. You were unconscious for quite some time, so we went to get some information and then stop by here since its on our way to our destination", Ed looked a bit sheepish as he admitted this.

Information? What happens after the train incident again? Ed goes to Roy to get information on this crazy alchemist who created a talking chimera, right? What's his name? Shou Tucker!

I cringed at the thought of what will be awaiting Ed at Tucker's house. For a fifteen year old, Ed will be seeing some pretty messed up stuff in the future.

"Fullmetal. I'll be waiting outside", Roy looked from Ed to me then he walked outside.

Ed's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "Anyway, you don't have to worry about the medical fees. I already took care of that".

I looked surprised. "Why? Why would you do that for a stranger?"

"Because if you couldn't afford train tickets it's obvious you can't afford medical bills. And from what Al's telling me, you were a big help on the train".

I smiled a wide toothy smile. "Thanks Ed".

He and Al stood up to leave.

"Where are you guys going?"

"You don't need us anymore, right? When you get out find your family, I'm sure they're worried about you", Ed avoided my question.

"That's just the thing. I don't have a family or a home to go to! When I get out of here I'm going to be alone".

Ed looked at me surprised and if Al had a body I'm sure he would have the same expression.

I looked them in the eyes. "I'm not asking you to take me with you, but can you guys at least come visit me on the day I have to leave?"