⍣Seven⍣

George walked out of the bathroom with a toothbrush in his mouth. He wore plaid pajama bottoms low and crooked on his hips. He took it out of his mouth. "What's with you tonight?" He directly asked Farah.

She sat crisscross in bed while wearing pajamas and staring at the laptop screen. Her shoulder length hair veiled the left side of her face from him. She was looking over the demographics in Nevada to see if there was any way this state could help her and her client benefit. Although she found her answer she ignored him and continued staring at the numbers.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw him squint and then disappear into the bathroom. He reemerged a moment later and sauntered over to her. She could feel his stare and her back tingled. She didn't squirm or crack like he wanted her to. She simply closed the demographics page and opened Facebook.

The bed indented to her left as he laid down supporting himself on one arm, but she only glanced at him for a brief second. "Farah, please tell me what's bothering you," he pleaded.

"Nothing," she sighed. She saw she had a message from her mother and opened it.

Farah sweetheart, I hope you've made it safely. I tried your cellphone but it went straight to voicemail. Please get back in touch with me. Xoxo Love mom

She reached for her phone to see if it died without her noticing but it was still half charged. Her eyes flicked to the status bar. No signal. She sighed again and put the phone back. She felt like agreeing to come here was the worst decision she could've ever made.

When she looked back at George he was still staring, intent to puzzle together her problem. She rolled her eyes. "Staring doesn't necessarily get you your way George."

"When has it not?" He stuck out his bottom lip attempting the puppy dog look. He failed miserably.

Instead of answering him, she typed out a quick reply to her mom.

I'm safe. Charlotte's safe. We have no cell service. Xoxo Love Farah

He peeked at the computer screen just as she hit send. His face scrunched up. "Jesus, what does she not trust me?" His voice pitched high as if offended.

She gave him an unimpressed look. "Do you really have to ask that question?"

He raised an eyebrow and used the opportunity to deflect the situation back on her. "Do I really have to ask you again what's wrong?"

She looked away. "I told you it's nothing, George, just leave it be."

"I've known you for a long time and I know when you're lying. You get defensive. But please know you can still talk to me." He looked at her with soft eyes. What he said was true, he had known her for along time. Long enough to know almost everything about her. She thought about this for a moment.

She couldn't tell him his brother is Charlotte's dad. But could she trust him enough to tell him his brother is the guy who still held a piece of her heart? No. George couldn't know any of it. Not now and probably not ever. It was for the best of everyone involved. And so far that only included Farah and Clayton, for all she knew at least. It should stay that way for as long it can.

Her gaze settled back onto George. She ran her fingers through her brown hair and tucked it behind her ear. "I know you've known me for a long time and I know I can talk to about anything, but I just don't feel like talking. Sometimes talking gets people into trouble," she spoke softly. She broke her gaze and began picking at little balls of lint on the blanket.

"Alright then, don't talk to me. Whatever suits your preference tonight Farah." He shrugged his bare shoulder and stared at the blanket with a long face. He picked a ball of lint and flicked it across the room.

"Oh great, what ever have I done? Did I kill your puppy this time?"

"I didn't say that," he defended.

"No but you're acting like it," she shot back.

"Is it working?" He fought a grin.

"Is it working?" She did her best to mock his voice. "No." She lightly laughed, shaking her head.

"What a shame," he sighed. "I guess I'll have to get it out of you another way." When he looked back at her a grin stole his face.

"Don't even think about it." She laughed.

"Don't think about what? Smothering you with kisses?" He raised his eyebrow again.

"Yes, it's gross!" She eyed him skeptically, wary of his next move and when it might come. Maybe she had a chance to evade it. Just when the thought came, he puckered his lips and lunged at her.

________________________
AN: Whoa! Stop! Don't fire yet! I know y'all probably didn't want to read a chapter of Farah and George but trust me, it's vital. You'll see in the later chapters why I did this. At least hopefully. I thought for a week on whether or not I should write this. Don't kill me. Next chapter will be Farah and Clayton. *wiggles eyebrows* Who's ready for this?
*raises hand*

Deds to ali-lee for being supportive of this book and also for being such a glorious inspiration <3

•Thanks for reading!•