fool ✞ grimes

"I'LL ADMIT THAT I'M A FOOL FOR YOU."

SECOND PERSON

The morning sun woke you up. You rolled around, your hand hitting the cold, empty side of your bed. You frowned.

He didn't stay, you thought gloomily, Carl didn't stay.

You and Carl were best friends, you did everything together. Except for when after he got shot and his beautiful blue eye was replaced with a gaping hole. You knew at night when Carl thought you didn't notice, he'd sneak into your room and sleep in your room.

You knew it was a protective thing, but he'd always leave and the both of you barely talked.

It wasn't the same.

***

You fled down the stairs of your house; the one you shared with Michonne, Rick, Carl and Judith. You walked into the kitchen, coming face to face with Carl himself.

You offered a soft smile, "Hey."

Carl didn't respond, he looked away, standing up. A sudden rage boiled inside you. This had to stop. You grabbed Carl by the arm, "What's your problem?"

Carl scoffed, "I don't have a problem, Y/N."

"Yeah, you do," You snapped, "Why are ignoring me? Ever since Ron shot you, you've avoiding me like I was some plague that you didn't want to catch! So, why?"

Carl shoved you away, his cheek red with fury. He suddenly yelled,  "You really want to know?"

"Of course I do, Carl. You're my best friend and it's my job to-" You were cut off by Carl's laugh. There was no amusement in the sound, "What's so funny?"

"That's the thing, I'm your best friend. You won't see me the way I see you."

"If you told or showed me, I think I'd understand-"

A pair of lips on your own stop your talk. You froze. Carl was kissing you. Your best friend was kissing you. Carl pulled away, a look of worry and nervousness, "I'm a fool for you, Y/N. I might regret saying it later but at least you know?"

"W-What?" You stuttered, still shocked from the kiss. Carl smiled sadly.

"Ever since the Atlanta camp, when I watched you stand up to Shane about whatever it was, I thought you were the bravest person ever. Then the prison, after the Governor attacked the first time, you said we could live there and for a while I believed you. Then when we got here, you came into the house where we all were; clean clothes and... bright. I knew I liked you."

"Then why ignore me?" You asked, "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I have a hole for a right eye. You really think I'd want to be around someone I have a crush on when my biggest insecurity has flashing arrows pointing at it?"

You sighed, setting yourself on the kitchen counter. Carl watched your movement, "Y/N, please say something."

You met his eye, signalling him to come over to you. He walked over, shaking with nervousness. Your hands found their way to his cheeks, cupping his face with gentleness. You pressed your lips to his, sweetening the air around you both.

You pulled away, your forehead pressed to hi, "I'll admit, I'm a fool for you too."

trash

- eden