Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Evan was confused and that wasn’t something that happened often. He was lying side by side with Lillith on his bed. He knew he hadn’t hurt her nor did something she didn’t want, she was open with him every second meeting his touches with her own, but now he felt like some big bad wolf that pulled the little lamb into his cave.

She was at the edge of the bed, her back facing him, and the sheet wrapped tight around her body. She hadn’t spoken or moved in the last several minutes since they finished their first encounter.

With a sigh, he decided to break the silence and figure out what the hell he did wrong. “Lillith? Are you ok?”

“Yes.”

He wanted to pull his hair out. “Then why are you all the way over there?” he thought after years of dating and being sexually active that he had girl language pretty understood but nope, he was lost.

“I…” she sighed and sat up, very careful to keep herself covered. “I should get home. My parents are waiting and I have some homework.” She was quick out of the bed grabbing her scattered clothes off the floor.

He had hoped she’d stay a little longer, he’d been enjoying her company far more than he expected. It wasn’t just the sex, her presence was nice too. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

She pulled her shirt on before moving the sheet and the same with her skirt. They had sex but she was still just as shy, maybe more so now because the memories of what they had done clung to the air. “Everyday I’m ovulating as per the contact.” She grabbed her backpack and dashed out of his room.

Evan stared at the closed door of his bedroom and wondered if that was the problem; she was thinking too much about the arrangement? Yeah everything that happened in the last hour and a half was because of a contact his grandfather drew up years ago and he was a fool to think she could forget about that and enjoy their time together. She was forced into his bed and it didn’t matter what he made her feel, nothing would change those ugly facts. 

~*~

Lillith didn’t want to be at the Fitzpatrick mansion for another minute. She ran out of there and to the nearest bus stop. She didn’t want to cry out in public but the tears burned her eyes every time she thought about what happened. Right now she could be pregnant and that was the worst thing that could possibility happen.

It wasn’t until she and Evan did the deed that it became real; she was supposed to have his baby and give it up. She couldn’t do it. The child would be of her DNA, would grow in her womb, in her heart, it would always be a part of her and there was no way for a person to live with a piece of them ripped away.

She sat with her head held down, her face masked by her hands. It was a real living nightmare, one she couldn’t wake from and forget minutes later. There was no escape. It wasn’t like she could runaway because then her parents would suffer the burden of her decisions. If they ran together nothing would stop Gil Fitzpatrick from tracking them down. It wasn’t as if the Fitzpatrick’s could simply replace Lillith over night. She was the cursed girl with the genetic material they needed for an heir.

“Excuse me?”

Lillith jumped, startled by the stranger’s hand on her shoulder. She looked up to find a man concerned.

“Do you need some help?” he asked.

She hastily looked around, turning her tear ridden face away from his prying eyes. “I’m waiting for the bus.”

“With all the cutbacks hitting the city they only run this route until five.” He passed her a tissue. “It looks like you need it more than me. My name is John.” He sat down on the bench. “How about you?”