Chapter Eleven - A Bloodbath

‘’C’mon!’’ orders Aaron as he begins at a run, dragging me after him by my wrist.

I glance around in the dark; my eyes are slowly beginning to adjust to the lack of light. Kate and our team’s mute are running along beside us. There are just four of us now. Even though there were only six to start with, the fact that there are only four of us now seems like such a huge difference.

No Alice! Eve is still alive. There are still five of you. Despite my nagging inner voice, I can’t help but feel anything but the worst for poor Eve.

As if to mock my worried thoughts, there is a scream again off in the distance.

‘’We have to hurry,’’ exclaims Aaron sounding flustered, running with his dagger in his free hand.

I don’t want to think about what he is going to use it for once we catch up with the red team. Even after her seeming more normal last night, I’m still quite indifferent about her as a person – but I really feel for her right now, nobody deserves the fear she is undoubtedly going through.

‘’We can’t let them kill her,’’ pleads Kate, panting as she runs.

‘’We won’t,’’ vows Aaron, although there is little conviction in his tone.

I glance to our team’s mute as we run; that poor boy has known since the beginning what this game was. He knew from the moment he woke up on this island that there were darker forces at work. I can’t imagine being in his position – despite how close I came to it! The details of my dream come flooding back to my head as I move. The kidnapping. The dreadfully drawn out journey in the back of the van. The room. The familiar voice.

Who had saved myself and Niamh from being turned into mutes? And why?

Whoever it was, I am grateful! At the same time, I feel guilty. If it wasn’t for the intervention of that familiar stranger, I could be dead. If not me, then Niamh. I could be in the mute’s shoes. That would be horrific. To be in that situation is one thing, but to be unable to talk, to be comforted on my worries...that would be hell.

Another of Eve’s screams echo through the air, this time it is longer. It actually makes me wince slightly.

‘’We need to pick up the pace!’’ explains Aaron.

In about five minutes, we catch up to the red team and Eve as they have slowed down. Eve is screaming and wriggling about in Alex’s grasp. He has her by the hair and is dragging her along; she is hunched over and fumbles awkwardly trying to keep up.

‘’Stop it! Please!’’ begs Eve, she is sobbing between the screams.

‘’Shut up!’’ he roars, smacking her across the face with the back of his hand.

I gasp aloud.

Niamh stops and turns to face us.

‘’Alex, we have company,’’ she warns and I silently curse her.

‘’Bitch,’’ mutters Kate under her breath.

Alex too freezes where and stands and turns to face us. He yanks Eve by the hair, turning her to face our direction too. She stares at us, jaw hanging low and eyes wide in shock. Her face is slightly bruised and her eyes are red from crying.

‘’That’s far enough,’’ says Alex, holding his knife to Eve’s throat.

We don’t risk moving.

‘’Stop this,’’ I spit in disgust, glaring at Niamh – who refuses to meet my gaze.

‘’Stop what?’’ teases Alex.