Chapter 1

Chapter 1

There’s something about the past that no person can deny: It’s unchangeable. Most cherish the sentimental moments but all look back on them whether they gaze with love or contempt. Whether the memories are amusing or horrendous, people don’t wish to change them. It makes a person into who they are now and even a slight disturbance could escalate and alter their life drastically. There are some who wish never to forget even the worst days of their lives. Some even look upon those moments with a mixture of dread and of longing, hatred and elation.

Gabrielle is one of those people.

This is where he took me, she remembered. That terrifying day burned through her mind. It was if she could still remember it and feel the fear that consumed her. Things like that never happened to good people and so the girl took that opinion to heart. If it happened to her, she must have deserved it. Only horrible souls could be put through the psychological torture she was forced into.

Gabrielle followed the cracks in the sidewalk and swore loudly. Her eyes flashed back to the moment where she could see her heeled boots running away from the man, away from him. Her arms wrapped tighter around her weak body. She was already fighting the cold beneath damp clothing; the chills of the past meant nothing. The same ripped jeans, green tank and black leather jacket of that day were donned on her pale skin with the only difference being now she was covered head to toe in mud. The muck was from hiding the only evidence of who took her. She slapped her own face hard and grit her teeth.

“Do not think of him,” she scolded herself. Her nails dug into her sleeves as her knuckles turned white. “I’m almost home. Almost home!”

Gabrielle’s house would be sitting on the last end of the block, hiding the setting sun on the cold October day. At least she thought it was October. It had been so long since she knew what day it was but there were pumpkins out and ghoulish decorations everywhere. Gabrielle hobbled past a fake skeleton stuck halfway in the ground and estimated the time she’d been missing.

Six months.

Her chocolate brown eyes combed the long street for the house numbered 713. That number which used to be held with such contempt in her eyes was now the only hope she had left. She was frantic in finding it, knowing if she couldn’t then her life would hold little meaning. The houses passed by one by one.

659, 661, 663…

The next block would keep the address she’d known her entire childhood. The road was as she remembered it with its dark trees, bright skies and the twin houses leaving only ten feet between the next one. There were patches of grass and slanted stairs leading to brick homes. It was urban yet not close enough to the city.

Gabrielle’s heart sped up when her eyes finally rested on it. 713 Linden Road was there, beckoning her forward.

Her feet ached, her skin was covered in goosebumps, but her tired eyes widened with new energy. Her black boots pounded the pavement to run closer. She reached the scarlet red painted door and slammed her open palms on the wood hysterically. No wanting to wait for an answer, she grabbed the house key that was always hidden under the doormat and shoved it into the lock. The door swung open and Gabrielle entered her house, gasping at the warm, cinnamon-scented air.

Home.

.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: She made it! Yay Gabrielle. You go girl. For those just reading: This is a sequel to My Annabel Lee and it's not a story you can read out of order. Sorry... For returning readers: As always I'd love to hear want you want to happen, espcially when I have a NEW plot to work on. If you want to suggest something, now's the time.

Stay insane <3