Chapter 2 'I Knew I Wouldn't Be Sleeping Much'

I scrolled through my ims and noticed that I had a 1 new message from Kacey and 1 from Max. I opened Max's first with an idea to what it was.

From Max:
*3:41 pm *
Remeber what I said at school. Don't talk to anyone in the gang. Stay away from your sister. Keep with Kacey. Don't go out to any clubs or parties. Don't tell anyone you don't know anything about you or your ties to the gang. Your sister will probably be staying at Derek's house.

I didn't feel the need to reply because I knew that he woul check later and see that I had read it. I knew the rules and planned on following them. Afterwards I checked Kacey's and updated her a bit on what was going on because she was on vacation with her dad. She didn't know that the group was gang so I had to be careful with what I said.

To Kacey:
*5:45 pm*
How's vacation going? Is your dad nice? Your brother cool? I miss you like crazy girl. It's so boring without you and Andrea is staying with Derek. The group disappeared today. They weren't at school. Something must have happened. Idk. When are you coming back? Pre Calc isn't the same without ya girly. Miss you.

After I sent the message I went to my kitchen to grab some strawberries and some cookie dough ice cream and brought it up stairs. I brought up my netflix on my laptop and turned on my favorite movie.

I spent the next 2 hours observed in it. At 8 I turned off my laptop and grabbed a blanket. I got comfortable in my loveseat and opened the book I was rereading. It was one of my favorites and it showed. The edges were frayed and quotes were highlighted. It was well loved.

As I finished the book, I changed into some running shorts and an old tshirt of Max's that he had left at my house. It was too big but it was one of my favorites. I turned off the lights and flipped on my fairy lights. I turned on some music and got comfortable on the loveseat.

I knew I wouldn't be sleeping much. I never did. I could only fall asleep between 11:45 pm and 2 am. After 2 am I hit a wall and couldn't sleep. Doctors had been trying to figure out what was wrong with me but there no unanimous findings. Some thought it was stress, some said I was restless and others said I had insomnia. Whatever it was I had gotten used to it.

Tonight I knew I probably wouldn't sleep. Not with this much to think about. I wanted to know what was going on with the gang. I wanted to know what had happened. What was going to happen. I was worried for Max and Andrea. I knew they would probably be okay, they always were. But these people they had issues with had guns. They shot people and sold drugs and stole cars. I knew Derek would protect Andrea but it didn't put my mind at rest. She was all I had. I had my parents yes, but they worked as executives for an environmental science company. They were only really home on the weekends but even then they were holled up in their offices working. They loved us and felt bad about not spending time with us but they just couldn't stop what they did. We were well off but if they stopped working then we would eventually run out of money. Most people would.
I thought about drawing and how I missed it. I knew I would should start drawing again. I missed the feeling of my pencil on paper sketching and gliding across the paper. The feeling of completing a picture.

My eyes scanned the word covered chalkboard wall across the room. Rereading the quotes I knew by heart. Looking at the pictures and dates. I saw the concert tickets and Polaroids from the beach that summer. The cars and song titles. It all fueled my thinking. I thought about the feeling of the sand beneath my feet. I though about the trips to Chicago and how much I missed it. I thought about when life wasnt so complicated. About the times when people gossiped about falling tests. Not who cheated on who or what girl was pregnant. I wanted those times back. I loved them.

The minuets ticked by and turned to hours while I drowned myself in thought. As I checked the clock I realized it was 3:24 am. I knew I had hit the wall as I figured I would. I moved over to my keyboard and played a few of my favorite songs. Softly singing to them as though there were other people in my house sleeping, but there wasn't. Never was.

After about 20 minuets I walked downstairs and in to my kitchen. I cut up a lemon and put some of the juice in my fresh glass of water. I curled up in a blanket on the living room loveseat. I knew I probably wouldn't sleep more than a few hours for the next couple weeks or however long it took for this situation to end. I wanted to run. I hadn't gotten a chance to go today. I normally ran everyday. I was a part of the cross country and track teams. Getting out of shape was not an option.

I gazed out the window and stared at the willow tree. My tree. The one I had played when we first moved into this house in 1st grade. I loved trees. I used to climb them and hang upside down while I took pictures of Max running around the yard. I would spend hours in it reading crisp books that were now torn up. The same books that I reread at night.

I was startled when I saw headlights coming toward the back of the house. Only Max, Andrea and I parked back there. I wasn't sure how I would handle a situation if someone broke in. Probably hide and hope the alarms went off. As I pulled myself off the chair I peaked out the back door to see the familiar midnight blue Lamborghini. Max's car. Among it were two other cars I didn't recognize. A black Mazzarati and a charcoal Aston Martin. Max exited his car and walked to the back door noticing me standing there and waiting for me to let him in.

Once I opened the door I waited for the mystery people to exit their car and enter the house as Max had. When I saw them exit the cars I was shocked.
The four boys entered my house. Derek looked mad and depressed at the same time. He looked like he wanted to kill someone while he cried. Trevor looked calm as usual. Max looked worried. Drew looked mad, but Dylan was the person who's expression worrie my the most. Dylan was mad but not in your face mad. He was calculating and you could only tell he was mad if you watched home close enough. The way his eyebrow twitched or how his eye scanned everything.

The boys settled on the couches around the room. Max was the firsts to speak.

"We have an issue."

That's chapter 2. I hope it was better than chapter 1. Vote. Comment. Fan.