Chapter 4: Small Talk

Apparently what he had in mind was stealing me a car. I should have been expecting this. He did mention it earlier. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice gesture and all but need I remind anyone that I've been locked up for five years? I don't know how to drive.

"Blaze," I started. "This is sweet of you, I think... in some weird way, but-"

"No no no," he interrupted. "No buts. Now which one do you like?" He waved his arm gesturing to the street in front of us, on which several cars were parked. We were all seated in Blaze's black Camaro, with the lights off to remain unnoticeable in the dark. Blaze was in the driver's seat with Dominic in the passenger's seat beside him, being silent as per usual. I was sandwiched in the back between the twins who kept whispering things to me like, "Did you get raped in prison?" and "Did you finish that whole pizza earlier? I'm hungry." I felt a bit like I was babysitting, except the babies were two grown ass men.

"Honestly, this is my first day of the real world since I was thirteen. I don't even know how to drive!" I explained. 

Blaze scoffed at my excuse and turned to look at me with amusement. "Come on, it's easy! You just push your foot down onto the peddle on the right and steer," he reasoned. "It's not brain surgery, El, I think you can handle it." I sighed, knowing he wasn't going to let me go home and sleep until I chose a car. 

I looked out at the street, trying to examine my options. There were a few sports cars, because Blaze took us to a nicer side of town, but I think I would prefer something a little less ostentatious. "Well," I mumbled. "I guess, since you're going to make me pick, that one looks okay." I pointed a ways down the street where a dark colored Nissan Pathfinder was parked. I couldn't tell from where I was, but I was guessing it was blue. It looked like a big sturdy SUV that could take the bumps and scratches I was inevitably going to put it through. 

All four of the guys turned back and looked at me in confusion. Well, three of them did, Dominic just kind of glanced over his shoulder at me and then went back to brooding in silence. I didn't mind, however. I understand feeling like you don't need anybody. During my time away, I didn't make many friends. I barely spoke at all actually. It was better to keep to yourself and stay out of everyone's business than to get too involved in the messy shit, so his aloof attitude didn't phase me.

Jarred poked my side, catching my attention. "Why do you want the one mom car out of all of these? There's a mustang right next to it," he said pointing to the sleek, cherry-red sports car. "Oh wait, I get it, you like them big, huh?" he asked me. Joshua started laughing next to me while I just rolled my eyes at their dirty minds. 

"Dude, gross," Blaze groaned, "That's practically my sister you're talking about." I chuckled at his reaction and decided I liked to see him bothered.

"I mean, who likes them small, honestly?" I asked Jarred in return to his question to cause my cousin even more stress, causing the twins to laugh even more.

"Shut the fuck up, you guys," Blaze whined. "I don't need the mental image. Let's just go get that car, please, and end the conversation about the dick size Elliott prefers!"

"But, you also have to consider that too big isn't great either. It can be kind of scary, you know, there's not that much room up there."

"ELLIOTT."

~*~

Somehow, I ended up being alone in the car with Dominic. He had switched over to the driver's seat to be the getaway driver when Blaze got out to go "acquire" me a new car, and Joshua went with Blaze to help keep a look out for police. Jarred eventually became bored with how quiet Dominic and I were being so he got out to join the others. 

I crawled up from the back to the front seat and silently watched Blaze at work. The car was completely quiet, not even the radio playing. I sneaked a glance at Dominic to find him already looking at me.

"Don't try to fill the silence with small talk," he demanded, his blue eyes boring into mine. 

I smirked at his attitude and cocked my head to the side, still watching him. "I wasn't planning on it," I replied. He raised one eyebrow at my response as if he didn't believe me, so I decided to prove it to him by turning and focusing on the theft going on across the street. Blaze roared the engine to life and the twins cheered at the success before he snapped at them to shut the fuck up before someone heard them.

I could practically feel Dominic's stare burning a hole in my back, but I refused to look at him or say anything that could be considered "small talk". I was almost focusing so hard on not looking at the intimidating boy next to me that I missed the twins jumping into the Nissan with Blaze. They waved at us out the open window as Blaze gave us a quick honk and sped away in the direction of the house. They abandoned me with Mr. Broods-a-lot. Fantastic.

Without something to watch anymore, I felt compelled to finally turn back to Dominic. He was watching me still, completely unabashed by how long he'd been staring. "Why are you staring at me?" I voiced my thoughts. "I'm about to make small talk just to make you as uncomfortable as I am."

"You're uncomfortable?" He smirked. "I didn't think you would be the type to get nervous so easily."

I considered his words. They were true; I usually don't get so bothered by small things like somebody looking at me. It was odd that his stare had such an effect on me. "I don't," I told him truthfully. "Maybe there's just something different about you." His eyes narrowed at my words, but I continued. "Maybe you interest me, and maybe I'm a little confused by how interested you are in me."

"Who says I'm interested in you?" he asked with amusement dancing in his eyes. 

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said sarcastically, "Do you spend a lot of your free time watching girls then? This is just a hobby of yours? Something you do for fun?"

He chuckled softly at my words and my heart beat a fraction of a second faster knowing that I was the one that caused that laugh. "I might," he answered.

I laughed at his admission of stalker-like behavior. "Whatever. You know, this is the most I've heard you talk to anyone," I pointed out. "I feel kind of special." He scowled at me, back to his normal state. 

"You're not special."

"I don't believe you."

~*~

We made it back to Blaze's house, well I suppose my house now as well, around three in the morning. My new car was already in the driveway, new license plates and all.

Dominic pulled the car to a stop next to mine and got out silently. Not that I expecting anything else, really. I quickly hopped out and jogged to catch up to him as he entered the house without so much as a knock. I watched as he placed Blaze's keys on the coffee table in front of the large, red couch and turned immediately to leave out the front door again. I was beginning to think that he was being too quiet in response to my comment about how special I was. He's just trying to throw me off. I'm still special.

I stood in the living room and called out to him as he left, "Goodnight, Dominic." I waited for the sound of the door, but it didn't come. Instead, I heard the floorboards creak as he reappeared in the doorway.

His eyes connected with mine and instantly I was captivated. I almost missed it when he said, "Just Dom. Goodnight, Elliott." He turned and left for real this time and I waited until I heard his car drive away before venturing into the bathroom for a much needed hot shower.

I stood under the water letting the heat soothe my muscles and ease my thoughts. After five years in a place so cold and unwelcoming, this was paradise.