Ch3

The phone in his hand lit up again, and he eagerly pressed it to his ear.

"Hullo?"

He held the phone out to me, and I grabbed it hopefully.

"Kota honey? They won't be able to get plows up there until it stops snowing, and even then it'll be hard to get you guys because of the layer of ice beneath the snow. A couple days, at least." he finished, and I clenched my fists.

"What are we supposed to do until then?" I breathed, watching as Sean's eyes flickered to the windows.

"I suppose you need to just stay alive. The school should still have power. I doubt it'll go out, but you never know. Find a warm place and sleep there. Love you."

I ended the call.

"A couple days." I said quietly, before pushing myself up off the ground and striding back to the library. At least there were comfortable couches and stuff to sleep on, and a fireplace if I could find wood to burn.

Sean followed after me.

"Did you check the whole school?" I asked hesitantly, wondering how I was going to go about speaking with him. What would we do during those couple days? I suppose we were about to become acquaintances, at least. Another person to speak with while we were stuck here.

"No one else is in here." he answered, and I closed my eyes tightly.

Once in the library I dropped my stuff on a couch and plopped down next to it.

Sean followed, sitting across from me in the chair I had been sleeping on. The cloth underneath me was cold, and I just wanted to be home. Spending time here, with someone I didn't know or like was going to be really tough. I didn't know this popular kid, we lived in two different worlds, and he wouldn't understand me.

This experience would give us something in common. If we passed one another in the hall, he won't look away. He'll know that we shared a traumatic couple days locked away in this place.

I took a deep breath and pulled the hair tie from the end of my braid. It was loose anyway, from having been slept on, and pieces had started slipping out. Long pieces that just made me look awkwardly hobo-ish.

On their own account my feet tucked themselves under me. I ran my pointer fingers under my eyes to get rid of any smudged mascara, and popped in a piece of gum.

All of those things were necessary for me to think straight again. I had been in a groggy state, a stupid state for a short period of time, and I didn't want to freak out the boy across from me any more than I probably already did.

"Alright. Uh, first I think we need to go over a couple things, and then we can... eat lunch." I decided "I'm starving."

He chuckled from across me and straightened up in his seat. He had nice white teeth, perfectly straight. This guy was the topic of freak-outs for girls all over the school, and here I was telling him what a fatass I am.

"So if we're gonna be here for a few day I think we'll need to get into a few places, like the Home-Ec room. I think they lock those up after everyone leaves. And depending on how many days we get stuck in here, showers." I blushed a little bit at the mention of showers.

This guy was oddly quiet, and that's coming from me, the intentional outcast.

"I have a key to the boys locker room." he reached into his pocket and retrieves a little silver keying, stuffed with about six different keys. One was probably a house key, another a car key, and the list goes on.

"Why?" I was baffled, I mean, what kind of teacher or coach just gives a kid the keys to a place that holds personal belongings? Some of those lockers had deodorant and stuff in it. High value items, obviously.