Disk 1: "Back in the day, we made our own fun."

"Back in the day, we made our own fun."

That's what old people say, that we 'youngsters' have it far too easy. Now a fourty-two year old man, Malcolm King still considered himself to be young. It's funny how when he was younger, growing up seemed like the best thing ever; to be older and have freedom. He could distinctly remember being thirteen and counting down the hours 'til his 14th birthday. To the exact second. Yet, when the moment had passed him, he felt an underlying yearning to be sixteen. And so it progressed. However, Malcolm couldn't remember wanting to fifteen or seventeen. Just the even numbers, those were best.

I digress. Now, where were we? 

Ah, yes. Malcolm leant back on his chair, letting the leather engulf him. ”We made our own fun." "We made our own fun." The phrase danced in front of his mind, and Malcolm felt a sense of pride in remembering it. Being older, he took pleasure in the simpler joys of life, and the recollection of his Nan nagging him while he played on his PlayStation, made him smile. 

But now, Nana would be proud. Malcolm was finally going to heed her words, and do exactly that.

Make his own fun.

What one must understand about Malcolm is that he was never exactly clever. Notice the use of the past tense, child, for it shall be explained in greater detail later. He was rather simple in the head and due to this, became constantly mocked at, in school. I can't tell you that this "made him want seek his vengeance" or any of that spiel, for the sad fact of the matter is that Malcolm never noticed. His mind worked in such a way that he thought himself to be rather popular, with friends that teased him constantly. Aren't they the best type? Friends are supposed to have no fear of insulting you, because they know you know it's not true. So Malcolm went through Secondary School rather content. 

So how did Younger Malcolm become the man he is today? The man, that reclines on his chair with such self-assurance? Something happened in those twenty six years, that led to him where his now, his table laden with blueprints and lined paper. The blueprints where of such complexity that even Einstein himself would have had great difficulty understanding them. Firstly, the were beyond the IQ level that Einstein possessed, and also they contradicted one of his most fundamental statements. Yet there they were, in Malcolm’s very own handwriting, and I can assure you that Malcolm’s self-induced exclusion from society had rendered it impossible for ideas to have been presented to him by someone else. The ideas had come from Simple Malcolm’s not-so-simple mind. 

Malcolm tentatively caressed the paper, his eyes smiling in adoration and his mind whizzing with ideas. He chewed his ballpoint pen and tapped his finger on the piece of lined paper that currently held his attention. It was titled "Game Rules".

If you were going to create a game, would you not want it to be the best? For it to memorable and entertaining, it should combine all the strongest emotions. Fear, excitement, love. Getting the right mix of these emotions would make it perfect and highly amusing to watch. That concept, amusement, was of the utmost importance to Malcolm, for he was, no better word for it, bored. At fourty-two he had gained such an exorbitant amount of wealth that he thought he had done his service to the world, so on the eve of his 40th birthday Malcolm retired and moved to a large stately home on the edge of the Scottish coast.  

The first few months were rather pleasant, and the neighbours became quite fond of Malcolm and the gatherings he held. Malcolm spent a small fraction of his money on a golf court, and other pleasure like swimming pools and tennis courts. Yet, it was inevitable that Malcolm would soon become bored, and his gatherings became less frequent as he grew weary of the people he had once called his friends. He only kept a select few, and by convincing them to live with him, had made them into his pets. But after a while, people get bored of pets as well.

Boredom is what leads us to this point in time. 

Malcolm needed to think of rules to impose on his players. His players. That's another thing that creates a good game; good players. They are imperative and Malcolm had already selected the best. Not himself of course, have I not stressed Malcolm’s age to you enough? No, he'd selected children, well teenagers to be exact. With the hormonal highs and lows that they experienced, Malcolm knew it would only make the game even more exciting. 

And on his desk lay the blueprints to his amazing plan. It was the one invention that he had decided to keep from the public.

His time machine.

________________________________________

The Judge took the CD out of the DVD player, and members of Jury blinked and rubbed their eyes, as if just coming out of a haze. The room was silent, after the cool, collected tones of the narrator had stopped and light had been restored to the room. 

The Judge proceeded to take another DVD of a case that lay strewn on his desk, allowing everyone to mumble to talk to each other quietly. 

"That's not even possible".

"Time machine, how perfectly quaint!” 

"Well, I tell you, if I had a time machine I wouldn't go filming the past, I'd change it!"

"Hear, hear! The defendant..."

"Such nonsense"

The insults and sarcasm flew around the courtroom, making the defendant smile smugly in his chair. His barristers, next to him, shuffled their files with importance, surveying the dissent in the air. They conversed only for a minute, letting the smirks on their faces do the talking for them.

Yet, however disbelieving the courtroom was, they all fell into complete silence when the Judge said "Disk 2".

He slid the DVD into the Player, and the screen went black.

 ____________________________________________________________

:D This is my latest craze and I'm just so hyped about this. I've got quite a good plot in my head!

But, still tell me if it's okay, or if the language is too weird!

So, vote, comment, whatever! 

Dedication to Safia, for giving me the idea for this, and listening to me drone on about how excited I was. :)

Ta Sugas!