Alone: A Hoppers Story

So, in payment for my writer's block on the point I'm at in Hoppers, here's a short kinda background story for Dez. It tells what happened and how she ended up all alone. I might post some more of these, but probably from different POVs. I wish I could give you guys some stories from other characters, but you guys haven't met them yet, so I might do one from RAFFE'S POV!!! Whee! Sorry, I think they're adorable together. And yes, they don't seem very romatic in Hoppers right now, but that's cuz I suck at that. Also, it's still building....

I guess I just gave that away. Whoops. Whatever. 

To the side is a lyric video for Losing Grip by Avril Lavigne>>>>>>                                                            I felt that it pretty accurately described the situation here....  

"That's when I decided

WHY? should I CARE?

'Cause you weren't there 

When I was scared

I was so ALONE..."

See? See?

Anyway, hope you guys like it! Disclaimer: The little French in here may suck terribly, and I apologize. 

Dez's POV

A howling cry split the night.

I blinked. Mommy must've finished. I ran upstairs to go look, shoving my way through the door and into the room. Dad said I shouldn't be in there while she was giving birth, but she was done now and I wanted to see. Mom was holding a little baby in her arms, and she didn't look so good. She looked really pale. There was red stuff everywhere, too. Dad looked really happy and really sad all at once, which is confusing. Mom saw me, and whispered my name, smiling. I moved closer. 

"Say hello to your little brother, sweetheart," she whispered. I said hi. 

"Sweetie," rasped Mom, "I might have to go away for a while, okay? And you probably won't see me for a long time."

"Why?"

Daddy was crying. "Dez, I think you need to leave now. Say goodbye to your mother."

"Okay. Bye, mommy. Come back soon. I love you," I said. Where was she going?

"I love you, too, sweetie. Take your little brother. Take good care of him. HIs name is Hugo," she whispered, and kissed my on the forehead. I kissed her on the cheek.

"I promise I'll take care of him," I promised. I picked up Hugo carefully, and the bluest eyes ever looked up at me. I made sure to hold his head because that's very important.

I left the room, wondering where my mom was going. I took Hugo to my room and put him down, and played with him and sang to him until we both fell asleep. I never saw my mommy again. 

                                                             ABOUT ONE YEAR LATER

I entered our house, Hugo in his sling on my back. Dad had been working on something for the past two months, and I was basically taking care of Hugo on my own. 

My birthday was coming up. I would be eight. I knew now that my mother was never coming back. She was dead. She was gone. I was never going to see her again. 

"Dad?" I called. "I brought some food!"

I walked into Dad's workshop. His materials were all in a bag, hastily strewn together. I picked it up.