Chapter 5

Chapter 5: 

My nose twitches as the scent of bacon wafts through my room. Groaning, I crack my eyes open, only to shut them quickly as the sun blinds me.

Trying once again to open my eyes, I'm finally successful, but then that's when I take in my surroundings. 

I don't remember having dark red sheets, nor do I remember my walls being blue. Panicking I look out the window, hoping to see the familiar surroundings of the many houses in my neighborhood, but instead I'm greeted by the surrounding forest.

Where am I?

Suddenly the events of yesterday replay in my head. First was school and meeting Ryder and Amy, then it was the lunchroom incident. Second was Ryder and I skipping school and running away from the school officer, then the almost kiss. Finally I remember running into the forest and collapsing. The very last thing I remember was somebody saying, "Oh, Lila. I promise I'll figure you out, and I promise I'll help you. I promise I'll fix you, and I never break a promise."

Only one person could have said that, and that was Ryder. Was I in Ryder's home maybe?

Looking to the small table to my left, I see a picture frame. In the frame was a picture of a family. A beautiful mother, a handsome father, and two young kids. One was a little girl and a little boy both smiling with crooked grins. I smiled at the little boy who had his two front teeth missing. 

When I studied the mother I noticed her looking at her husband lovingly, while the husband looked down at the kids laughing. The whole family looked happy, and it only reminded me that my family was never like that. We never were and we never will be.

My smile vanishes from my face completely as I think of my mother and father. Do they not notice that I'm missing? Do they not care? Of course they don’t, they're probably not even in the country. They are probably just having fun somewhere in Europe or South America.

Looking back to the picture, something pops out to me. The father in the picture looks remarkably like Ryder, only an older version of him. They both had slightly crooked noses, the same black hair, the same lips, and the same chins, but the father did not have crystal blue eyes, the mother did.

Turning to the little kids, I notice that the young girl looks a lot like Amy, only a lot younger. This picture was of Ryder and Amy's family, meaning I must be in one of their rooms.

Slowly getting up I shuffle weakly over to a brown dresser. When I open it I am greeted by a musky smell. When I shuffle through the clothes, I find that all of them are boys’ clothes. I must be in Ryder's room then. 

I look down to see that I was still wearing the clothes I had on yesterday. They were all covered with dried mud and leaves. Gross, how could Ryder let me sleep in his bed when I was like this? It's probably all dirty now!

Sighing I grab a random shirt from the dresser. When I pull it out I nod in approval. It was dark red, long sleeve shirt that would cover the cuts on my wrists.

Then I proceeded to take out some of his boxer, hoping they would fit, but as I set my eyes on it, I knew I wouldn't be able to fit. Ryder is at least a head taller than me and he was very muscular. With me not eating, my waist has shrank, and even if I rolled the top of the boxers up, it would still be too big.

Putting the boxers back, I decide that the shirt will be enough as it is long enough that it will cover my butt.

Going to a random door in the room, I open it and find a closet. Moving to another door, I open it to find what I was looking for, the bathroom.