Chapter 6

Haymitch and I stare at each other for what feels like forever.

Finally, he asks me if I have told Peeta. 

"No. I am too scared to do this, Haymitch! How could I tell him?" I ask. 

"Katniss, if there is one thing I know about you, is that you are a survivor. You don't think you can do this, but you can." He tells me. It is odd to see Haymitch so serious, especially when he is praising me. I think this is one of the few time he has shown the slightest affection towards me. Haymitch and I were similar in that aspect. It was hard for us to show affection to some people.

I smile up at Haymitch, but I am still doubtful and afraid, "But how do I tell him? I am afraid I will ruin it for him by myself being upset." 

"You survived two games. You defeated the Capitol. You can do this." He tells me.

"Thanks, Haymitch." I say. "I guess I need to get home...Gale is coming to see me."

"Good luck." I hear him say as I walk out the door.

---

Shortly after I arrive home, there is a light knock on the door. Am I ready for this? Probably not, but like many other things, I have no choice. I answer the door and see my old friend standing on the porch. He is wearing an outift that reminds me of something someone would wear on Reaping Day. It is nice, but not too nice. The colors bland. I am almost hit with fear for the child within me on Reaping Day when I remember it doesn't exist anymore.

"Hey Catnip." He says.

        "Hey." I respond opening up the door for him to come in. He walks inside and looks around. I decide we should stay clear of the kitchen. Although this is technically Peeta's home, not the one I had originally moved into, it is an exact replica of the one I kissed Gale at as he drifted in and out of a painful sleep. I wonder if he still remembers that. I am almost certain he does. I lead him into the living room and sit on one side of the couch and he sits on the opposite side. Our grey eyes meet and I am reminded of all our times together, so many years ago.

"So Katniss...what have you been up to?" He asks me.

"I guess just rebuilding my life. Nothing much really. I still hunt, Peeta still bakes. So I guess not much has changed."

"Is he...is he better?" He asks me. Instantly I understand. Is Peeta still partly hijacked.

"He is better, but sometimes he relapses. I don't think he likes me to know very much, and always wants be to leave, but you know me. I am stubborn." I say the last part in an effort to lighten the mood.

"That's true!" He chuckles. "Well, I am happy for you two."

"What about you, Gale?" I ask him.

"I have been working on my career alot lately. I met a girl. She reminds me of Madge. Do you remember Madge? Well, her name is Rhine. She lives in District 2. I think I might really love her."

"Of course I remember Madge. She was my only friends besides you. That's really great, Gale." I tell him. Although we both have a wall up, me more than him, I am happy I do not have to lie to Gale. 

Again, I am hit with a random burst of nausea. I bolt up and head to the bathroom. This time, I really have nothing to throw up, so instead my body is painfully retching as it heaves up what is not there. I clean my mouth again and head out. Just like with Haymitch, Gale is waiting in the hall. He seems relieved that I am okay.

"Are you okay, Katniss? Are you sick?" He asks me.

"I'm fine, I guess I just ate something bad." I say. Just as I was beginning to be truthful with Gale, a lie is forced to come out. I isn't as if I really had a choice to lie this time though. I look up and see he is staring at me.

"What?" I demand. 

"Nothing."

"Tell me!" I say, getting angry. I hate when people try to tell me nothing when I know there is something. Gale should know.

"Oh, Katniss. You haven't changed." He chuckles at me. I shoot him a glare which doesn't really help my case, but who cares. I am angry. 

"Why do you keep looking at me like that?"

"I guess I am shocked to see you." He tells me. "So, Katniss, how are you? Really?"

What a loaded question. Obviously I cannot tell Gale, no matter how much i once trusted him, how I truly feel. I can't even tell my own husband, after all. 

"I'm alright." Not a complete lie.

"I don't believe you, but okay. Well, I'm sorry I have to go so soon. Maybe I can come see you tomorrow? No, don't answer. I will probably come anyways. Bye, Catnip." He says, and walks out the door.

And I thought I was acting weird.

Disclaimer; Yeah, I dont own thg but whateves I can write fan fiction